Firewall config format

An area specifically for port forwarding, firewalls and other (on-line) security related issues.
unixnut

Firewall config format

Post by unixnut » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:37 pm

Hi All,

First off, well done on this release. I'm new to this forum but not to linux. So I'm very pleased to see this activity.

Some feedback for the release I updated my new GWART box to (20060506.360C) ...

I don't know how everyone else is getting on with it but I find the format for adding custom port forwarding non-intuitive and a might misleading. I refer to the Port-Start/Port-End/Port-Map section. Even now I'm not certain of the right way to complete that although it kinda works for me with my guesses.

I'd be more confident with a layout AKA IPCop ->

remote address (any by default)
incoming port / tcp or udp (or both)
redirect to port (internal IP)
Enabled (Y/N)

I'm also not sure of the value of the predefined "gaming port entries" and other well known ports. My guess is that people using this firmware will be "informed" and will know which ports are used for ssh or similar. I certainly see informed questions in the forums!

While on the subject of port forwarding, one extension that I could immediately use is hostname redirection. Say you had 5 IP addresses from your ISP and you set up 5 different DNS names for them. They all point to your routertech box. Would be good to pass them to different internal servers depending on the IP address that was requested (the dns name typed). IPCop has the feature but I haven't found it elsewhere and I don't want to dedicate a whole box (virtual or not) just to manage that.

So there's a couple of pence worth. Hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes ;o)

Sy borg tells me that there's a new extended feature release due out soon. I look forward to it. Really.
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:03 am

Welcome unixnut. I'm glad the router got delivered at last :D

I'm sure the more technically minded on the development team will correct me if wrong but I understand that the layout for the GUI is driven by the stock firmwares and is not a deliberate choice of anyone here. The main development moves so far have been to fix bugs and incorporate enhancements to the firmware where it has been found that one vendor delivered a firmware component with an advantage that could be added in.

The next release of the RT firmware fixes/makes available a few more things as well as making the GUI a little more beautiful. What has not been attempted is to change the layout in any major way (yet) as to do so obviously risks breaking something else....

Keep the suggestions and requests comming though as my intention is to compile all of these possible future changes to the RT firmware in one place for easy tracking. This will have to wait until I have a usable Internet connection at home though :cry:
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:31 am

SyBorg is absolutely right. The GUI interface is standard across the platform, except for a few visual tweaks here and there by manufacturers. We have had some departures from the standard - but the more you depart, the more difficult it is to integrate updates to the interface, and so such departures should be kept to a minimum. Also you have to be careful what you change because we have found that "simple" changes often break something else somewhere unexpected (this is due in part to the spaghetti code).

What we are trying to do is to make the firmware as straightforward to use as possible, so we are of course open to suggestions.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
pacella

Re: Firewall config format

Post by pacella » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:21 am

Would I still need a firewall for a secured connection on a wireless router? I have a password secured connection on my router, and I'm wondering if I need a firewall besides the Windows one. If you think I should get a firewall, then which is better: Comodo or Zone Alarm?
Last edited by pacella on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Firewall config format

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:10 pm

A s/w firewall is essential for improved protection of your PC - ZA Free is a very good option IMO.

Jim
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....