closing ports using port forwarding rules

An area specifically for port forwarding, firewalls and other (on-line) security related issues.
pkguy
Novice
Novice

closing ports using port forwarding rules

Post by pkguy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:29 am

Hello
I am using a wimax. The morons at the ISP have opened ports like telnet, ssh, 443, 80 etc and there is no way to close them. They stay open all the time and spammers keep trying to connect to the router according to the logs. Worse yet, access to modem config is open from wan and and the bad does not even ask for a username/password.
Is there any way that i can close the ports using port forwarding rules or DMZ or port triggering or something like that? I want to close port 80 to disable modem config on wan, close port 443, ssh, and telnet. There are few others which stay open by default on the firmware. But i dont care much about them.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: closing ports using port forwarding rules

Post by mstombs » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Anything is possible with iptables netfilter rules, but I assume you don't have access to a Linux command line?

You could try port-forwarding those ports to a non-existent lan ip address to divert them from your router. DMZ unlikely to work as it usually a low priority rule only applying if none others match - and remote web access may be a specific match higher up.