clone mac address to use wifi?

An area specifically for port forwarding, firewalls and other (on-line) security related issues.
incivek

clone mac address to use wifi?

Post by incivek » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:59 pm

Hi, I am trying to connect to the wifi at work so I can watch the news and browse during lunch. My site no longer has the IT people as they have been relocated to another state . The IT guy that was there before helped us set up our devices. Mine was an android tablet. My tablet was so slow it was unusable. I recently got a better android phone so I am trying to get on the internet from it.

I know the password and everything, however, my phone cannot connect but my tablet still can (as everybody else's devices that are set up before), which made me think the wifi is set up to restrict the MAC addresses. The computer people are no longer there so no help. I guess if that is the case, the only way my phone can connect to the wifi is by "cloning" the MAC address from the tablet (I don't plan to use the tablet anyway). From what I know, i can either root my android phone to change the MAC, or get a travel router and change the MAC address, and try to connect from there.

I am leaning toward the second option, and I am thinking about getting the TP link nano router (TL-WR702N) because I read that it allows you to change the WAN MAC address out of the box. However, I haven't found any information whether or not it can be set up for that purpose (and I thought it was the only purpose to have such a router). So before I move too far, I am hoping for some pointers on how to approach this matter.

I am not hacking any system. i checked with my supervisor that it was cool to try. My coworkers with phones set up from before use this wifi all the time.

I sincerely appreciate for any help that I can get. Many thanks!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: clone mac address to use wifi?

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Presumably the remote site IT people still offer you IT support ? - an you not just contact them and supply your new MAC address and get the existing setup connection details changed ?

Jim
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: clone mac address to use wifi?

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Nice bump to a ten year old thread ;)

Happy New Year Folks :)

Jim
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....