IPv6

An area of the forum to discuss router binaries (utilities and applications that run on routers) etc.
biltong
Novice
Novice

IPv6

Post by biltong » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Is there any chance of a dhcp6 daemon/server being implemented? I know most of the world doesn't even use IPv6 for internet but it might be useful for windows 7 boxes that use homegroup and such over a local network.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: IPv6

Post by thechief » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Yes, it can - but it probably will not work without all the necessary supporting infrastructure being built and enabled too (and, for RT firmwares, that is currently a non-starter, not least because of space issues).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
biltong
Novice
Novice

Post by biltong » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:53 pm

I see. If I set up a DHCP6 server on a linux box on the local network will it conflict with the router's DHCP?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:13 am

I have no idea.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
SimonIremonger

Post by SimonIremonger » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:50 pm

biltong wrote:I see. If I set up a DHCP6 server on a linux box on the local network will it conflict with the router's DHCP?
No. I have this at a friends' house:-

The DHCPv4 server on RouterTech serves up IPv4 addresses out of a specified range. Note that DHCPv4 includes information on IP, Netmask Gateway, DNS resolvers.

A separate Linux machine (which so happens to have a static real-world IPv4 address and gateways to the internet through the RouterTech router), has a 6in4 tunnel going to an external host. In this case this is achieved by a non-NAT internet connection, although a single 6in4 can be done through an appropriately configurable IPv4 NAT.

Then, the linux box runs radvd which specifies the IPv6 /64 range associated with the tunnel, and provides this to the lan. Other machines will do their auto-configure thing to set addresses. (although, some hosts have a statically configured address on them (WITHOUT setting gateway), which becomes 'routable' when the radvd is visible).

NOTE: In most cases you no not need DHCPv6, but you do need radvd. DHCPv6 is needed to do more clever configuration than what radvd allows for.

Short answer: There should be no problem whatsoever. The IPv6 config and IPv4 config 'run alongside' and RouterTech is IPv4-only. Get the tunnel/ipv6 to work first and then 'share' it with radvd... Do not try to set up DHCPv6 until you have this working and know why you need it. These days radvd can also setup DNS resolvers and you don't normally need DHCPv6.