Firmware support for extra filesystems

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Firmware support for extra filesystems

Post by thechief » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:44 pm

Ok, RT v2.3 has support for the cifs filesystem and for the minix filesystem.

JFFS2 is something that was considered and abandoned as being too fiddly.

Support for the secure shell filesystem (shfs) can be added to a future firmware release. This would be added as a kernel module (like rshaper) and so wouldn't hog RAM for those who don't want it.

Edit:
Also, the ftp file system can be supported.

Is there any interest in these?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:13 pm

Only issue I have with minix, (as you know!) is that the "sync" command doesn't work so can lose changes if /nvram fails to umount. The drive refuses to unmount if in use by ssh, telnet or console, or I guess commands started from it that are still running. I sometimes have to "killall dropbear" from telnet session if closing ssh or winscp connection do not work - but when you forget...

Haven't yet got to grips with cifs and you are offering ftp...
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:45 pm

The ftp filesystem is more straightforward than cifs, as it doesn't involve fiddling with Samba or Windows shares, etc. Whether it's of any real use remains to be seen ...

With regard to minix, have you tried the new "Shutdown" menu from the web ui?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
jamon
Novice
Novice

Re: Firmware support for extra filesystems

Post by jamon » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:00 am

thechief wrote:Is there any interest in these?
Sure!!!
Some other routers (with ssh server) can export files with shfs, and with ftpfs is more simple to support some low cost NAS devices.

But the real question is: What you like to do with a network filesystem? You are saving logs? You like to run applications? You share a toolchain? You only do for fun...
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Firmware support for extra filesystems

Post by thechief » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:40 pm

jamon wrote:But the real question is: What you like to do with a network filesystem? You are saving logs? You like to run applications? You share a toolchain? You only do for fun...
The first two ...
Abinimbed

Re:

Post by Abinimbed » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:00 am

mstombs wrote:Only issue I have with minix, (as you know!) is that the "sync" command doesn't work so can lose changes if /nvram fails to umount. The drive refuses to unmount if in use by ssh, telnet or console, or I guess commands started from it that are still running. I sometimes have to "killall dropbear" from telnet session if closing ssh or winscp connection do not work - but when you forget...

Haven't yet got to grips with cifs and you are offering ftp...
We have the same case on minix. I am also encountering issues on their sync. Too bad!