DDNS Settings Won’t Save

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
Dorcots
Novice
Novice

DDNS Settings Won’t Save

Post by Dorcots » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:32 am

I am running RouterTech’s “TNETW1350A release” firmware (Oct 2007) on a SWART2-54125 router and cannot get any DDNS settings to save. I select ‘DynDNS’ as the ‘DDNS Server’ (it’s the default anyway), check ‘DDNS Client’ and enter the ‘User Name’, ‘Password’ and ‘Domain Name’. When I select ‘Apply’, the last four fields go blank and the screen does not otherwise change.

I know my settings work since I have run ‘DynDNS Updater’ on my PC.

Also, prior to moving to RT firmware, I had it working with Safecom firmware (except that DynDNS blocked me for sending multiple updates from the same IP address – a probable Safecom bug – its now unblocked).

I have reset the RT firmware (prolonged reset button) and also performed a ‘System Commands’ > ‘Restore Defaults’. I have performed an ‘ruc.exe’ - part of the DDNS data is attached.

When I telnet my router, ‘ddns -help’ is not available as a command (‘No such file or directory’) while ‘wakelan –help’ is. I am not familiar with telnet so this may be finger trouble.

Looking elsewhere on the forum, I see that others have had this problem because they ‘not followed instructions’. I hope I am another since better that than a bug in RT firmware.

Can anyone help?
Attachments
DdnsInXmlFile.gif
(9.48 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:35 am

Hi did you do a "save all" and reboot after trying to configure the DDNS setup ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Dorcots
Novice
Novice

Post by Dorcots » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:41 pm

Yes, I tried a 'Save All' then a 'Restart' ( just in case the settings had been applied but not been shown).

Also Status > DDNS Update Status shows 'DDNS Client is Disabled'.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Are you getting errors in the system log as mentioned in this thread ?

viewtopic.php?t=1552&highlight=ddns+settings+save
Jim

Dorcots
Novice
Novice

Post by Dorcots » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:16 pm

Yes, I get "... there is no module ddns" in the log.

I will try another (third) 'System Commands' > 'Restore Defaults' tonight when I am home (I am using VNC at the moment).

However, I wonder whether it is the same cause as your link. My XML snapshot above was the same before and after my last 'Restore Defaults'.
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:41 pm

I assume when you do a 'reset to defaults' that your settings (ISP login details etc.) are being reset, and you are then entering everything manually and not restoring an old ( incompatible ) backup.
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
Dorcots
Novice
Novice

Post by Dorcots » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:23 pm

Yes, I lose the lot and put it all in again manually (ISP, LAN group 1 customisation, Wireless SSID etc., DMZ).
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:07 pm

Dorcots wrote:My XML snapshot above was the same before and after my last 'Restore Defaults'.
BTW with respect to the RUC: the file entitled *default_config.xml is the default (factory) config, not the current router settings. The current config will be in the *current_config.bin file. You will need to convert the .bin file with cfgconv in order to view the contents.

And if you are wondering why the extra hassle :) , that is because you can restore the config back to the router using the .bin file.
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Dorcots
Novice
Novice

Post by Dorcots » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:27 pm

Neo wrote:The current config will be in the *current_config.bin file.
Have now looked there and the settings are the same as the factory default (i.e. nothing saved) except that <updatestatus> has change from 'No IP Address Change' to 'Connection has not acquired IP Address to update'.

I have now done another 'System Commands' > 'Reset Defaults' without success on the DDNS save. Then I performed a 'physical' reset (remove all cables, power on with reset button held for 6 flash cycles. I manually added my ISP, 'Apply','Save All', 'Restart'. DDNS still would not save. This time I had not deleted 'quickstart' and so I assme 'connection1' settings would apply. In any case in the bin file, connection0 and connection1 were both unmodified.

I have changed the logging level and saw as an Entity log:

Code: Select all

Nov 13 19:55:07 cfgmgr(manager): GROUP_BEGIN to 'ddns'...
Nov 13 19:55:07 cfgmgr(manager): Delivering message externally
Nov 13 19:55:07 cfgmgr(manager): executing messages from the second subgroup
Nov 13 19:55:07 cfgmgr(manager): failed message from 'webcm' to 'ddns' to set 'settings/connection'
It looks like this is the error that leads to the "There is no module 'ddns' " log (attempted six times).

Does anyone have anymore suggestions on what to try?
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:13 am

You could try re-upgrading following another reset to defaults...... :?
Jim

thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:53 am

I agree. Something is not right.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Dorcots
Novice
Novice

Post by Dorcots » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:37 am

Shotokan101 wrote:You could try re-upgrading following another reset to defaults......
Performed a 'System Commands' > 'Restore Defaults', then an 'Update Gateway' > ... > 'Update' (much easier than my previous unbricking using PCTools). Following the automatic reset, I confirmed that I had a 'RouterTech AR7WRD (TNETW1350A)' (as before). I set up my ISP and a DDNS save still failed.

I performed a belated post-update 'Restore Defaults', setup my ISP and a DDNS save still failed.

Is it worth me revising the DynDNS settings to the ...config.bin file and sending it to the router?
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:34 am

...I could be wrong but I don't think that will do much if your still getting the log errors about the module not being present..... :?

I really think that to be sure you should have used the PCTool to upload the Firmware image(s) as sometimes the WEBUI upgrade can be problematic..... :?
Jim

thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:46 pm

I don't use ddns. Is there anyone who uses ddns with this firmware?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:08 pm

Just had a play with test RoHS SWAMR ( not connected to ADSL )
with V2.4 settings won't set with v2.3 they do! ( settings don't need to be a valid account to see if they stick)
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura