Status of the Linux DNS issue?

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
neilius
Regular
Regular

Status of the Linux DNS issue?

Post by neilius » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:58 pm

Hi all,

It's been a while... ;) Anyway, I'm setting up a WIFI LAN for my partner (who's laptop runs Ubuntu 7.10 - she's been converted!) so I dug out my old SWAMR-54108 and shoved the RT2.3 firmware on it, seems to boot okay and stuff, but I was wondering:

Is the old Linux DNS issue still around? By that I mean, when using some distributions on client PCs, the router would not properly do its DNS wizardry, thus forcing the user to manually input their ISP's DNS servers either into the Router's config or the PC's own resolve.conf. I did a search of the forum but couldn't find out whether this 'bug' still exists or if it's been fixed. Unfortunately I can't connect the router to the Internet and fire up a Linux box to test it.

I hope the RT team is all well!

Regards,

Neil.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:36 pm

The only bug that I know of in RT2.3 is that if you do not want to use the router DNS proxy it will not pass on the DNS servers by dhcp. This is fixed in more recent Acorp firmware so maybe in RT2.4 for the newer wireless chips, but needs an update to the core logic for the rest of us.

My PC/ISP seems to work better not using the router dnsproxy, but it seems to work better with openDNS servers - I'm yet to see if I can use thechief's build of dnsmasq as alternative.
jimp
Novice
Novice

Works for me

Post by jimp » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:39 pm

I'm using RT 2.3 on a GART2-4112 with Pipex and multiple Ubuntu 7.10 boxes. The issue was fixed in Ubuntu 7.04, but regressed in 7.10, which caused me some grief. Now I can use the DNS proxy on the router from a Ubuntu box and it works fine. I've not tried it with other ISPs or router hardware, so ymmv. I believe the problem was caused by the linux IP stack defaulting to IPv6 if it thought it had an IPv6 connection, but using the fact that it had an IPv6 loopback as evidence that IPv6 was available - which it always is... The patch was just to introduce some sanity into how this decision is made, but the workaround was just to use hard coded DNS settings. I presume that is the bug you are referring to.
neilius
Regular
Regular

Post by neilius » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Thanks jimp and mstombs,

That is exactly the issue, jimp. Are you saying that it is broken again in Ubuntu 7.10?

Rgds,

Neil.
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:23 pm

Not had any DNS issues in Ubuntu 7.10 or SuSE 10.2 using the any of the firmwares that we have put out. This issue was fixed quite some time ago.
neilius
Regular
Regular

Post by neilius » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:14 am

That's great news, so the installation should go smoothly (famous last words?)... Thanks for the heads up. :)

Rgds,

Neil.
jimp
Novice
Novice

Yep

Post by jimp » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:22 pm

When I said regressed, that indicates that it went back to its previous behaviour. This means broken if it didn't work for you in 6.06, or no difference if it did work then. So I suppose I am saying that it is broken again in Ubuntu 7.10, but fixed by using better router software like routertech.

On the up side, finding a solution for my instance of that problem is what got me to this site.