RT Firmware: Update Configuration does not seem to Work

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
Dorcots
Novice
Novice

RT Firmware: Update Configuration does not seem to Work

Post by Dorcots » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:26 pm

I cannot get my V2.4 router to accept my modified config.bin (or even just my ‘Backup Configuration’ version) and would appreciate if someone could tell me if I am doing any thing wrong.

When I run Update Gateway and send config.bin to the router, the update fails giving the wrong screen. Instead of a progress screen, a screen similar to the screen I was just on appears (see attached pic). It is different in that it has a serif font, some text is removed and it has a ‘Status’ of ‘Upgrade Successful’.

More annoying, the configuration is now corrupt and the router must be cold started (powered on with the reset button held for 6 flashes of the LAN LEDs).

Revised 29 Nov 2007: ‘Upgrade unsuccessful’ previously read ‘Upgrade Successful’
Attachments
Config-bin will not send.gif
(36.09 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Last edited by Dorcots on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Well, I don't know what you are doing wrong - but I have just backed up my config, and restored it via the webui successfully.

PS: you will not get a progress screen when updating the config.bin - it is far too small for a progress screen. You will simply get a notification as to whether the upgrade is successful or not.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Dorcots
Novice
Novice

Post by Dorcots » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:22 am

Mmm, I'm going to have to investigate this a bit more.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:38 am

Daft question time ! :lol:

Where did the modified config.bin come from ? (same or different Firmware version)

Do you get the same behaviour if you try the config file update immediately after the factory reset ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Dorcots
Novice
Novice

Post by Dorcots » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:33 am

I have now managed to get back to this and give it a thorough testing - the full test details are below. Here is a summary.

Additional to my first post, a ‘Restore Defaults’ followed by ‘Backup Configuration’ fails giving the alternate ‘Update Gateway’ page. But if ‘Restore Defaults’ is followed by a minor change (plus a ‘Save All’ and a ‘Restart’), ‘Backup Configuration works. I have repeated this test sequence many times.

Retesting has shown that my original post (send config.bin corrupts the router) is correct (except that I mis-described the status).

Code: Select all

Testing Details:

Using Firefox 2 on XP Pro SP2. ADSL and 2 Ethernet connected to SWART2-54125. Extra detail is given (e.g. Log In) during and just after failures.

Update Gateway, selecting V2.4.0.

System > Restore Defaults. Update Gateway, selecting V2.4.0  (have attached a picture of this screen as a reference).

System > Restore Defaults. Update Gateway > Backup Configuration. Failed giving the alternate ‘Update Gateway’ page with status of ‘Configuration Not Saved in Flash (Using Default Configuration)’ (see attached picture).

Reload router IP and Log In. Response very slow as I navigate around (initially). Save copy of system log  (see attached file). Repeat ‘Backup Configuration’ with same failure.

Now using IE6, reload router IP and Log In. Repeat ‘Backup Configuration’ with same alternate ‘Update Gateway’ page failure and ‘Configuration Not Saved…’.

Back on Firefox, Restore Defaults. Setup > LAN Configuration > End IP. Make a change. ‘Apply’. ‘Save All’. ‘Restart’. … Log In. ‘Backup Configuration’. Now works – select ‘Save to disc’ and have saved a config.bin (see attached file).

Restart (as an added precaution). Update Gateway, selecting the earlier-saved config.bin. Failed giving the alternate ‘Update Gateway’ page with status of ‘Upgrade Successful’.

Refresh of Firefox failed (http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/firmwarecfg) so loaded 192.168.1.1. Log In. Hourglass for 15 seconds then a blank page with just the error ‘Internal communication error. Exiting.’ (see attached picture).

Perform Factory Reset (only option) to recover.
I have tried to obtain the initial config.bin using PC-Tool but, in spite of hours of trying ’Retrieve/Assign IP Address’ has failed. I’ve done this successfully in the past when I bricked my router. But I have now found the RT help on PC-Tools where additional techniques are suggested and hope to try again at the weekend.
Attachments
Update Gateway Page.gif
‘Update Gateway’ page. This is correct. It has menus and a ‘Backup Configuration’ button.
(56.96 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Failed Backup Configuration Page.gif
Failed ‘Backup Configuration’ page. It is the ‘Update Gateway’ page but without menus and a renamed ‘Get Configuration’ button (etc).
(37.18 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
System Log.zip
System Log when ‘Backup Configuration’ failed. Hope I caught it all
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
config.bin
Default config.bin with minor change.
(8.65 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
Config-bin corrupts router.gif
Error Page when config.bin corrupts the router
Config-bin corrupts router.gif (13.17 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
hyperair
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hyperair » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:23 am

Instead of "requesting" an IP address from the ADAM2 bootloader, try "Assigning" an IP address. Put 192.168.1.1 into the text box then click the button. The timing and all should be the same. This method is so that in case of the ADAM2 bootloader losing its environment variables (including my_ipaddress, and using some address like 169.254.8.25 or something similar), it would still connect using 192.168.1.1. Otherwise you have to get your computer's IP into the correct subnet first.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:25 pm

Dorcots wrote:I have now managed to get back to this and give it a thorough testing - the full test details are below. Here is a summary.

Additional to my first post, a ‘Restore Defaults’ followed by ‘Backup Configuration’ fails giving the alternate ‘Update Gateway’ page.
What were you expecting - to back up a saved configuration when you haven't saved anything?
Dorcots wrote:But if ‘Restore Defaults’ is followed by a minor change (plus a ‘Save All’ and a ‘Restart’), ‘Backup Configuration works. I have repeated this test sequence many times.
Of course. Now there is something to backup.
Dorcots wrote:Restart (as an added precaution). Update Gateway, selecting the earlier-saved config.bin. Failed giving the alternate ‘Update Gateway’ page with status of ‘Upgrade Successful’.
I am not sure why you think that this represents a failure. If the upgrade is reported as successful, then it was successful.
Dorcots wrote:Refresh of Firefox failed (http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/firmwarecfg) so loaded 192.168.1.1. Log In. Hourglass for 15 seconds then a blank page with just the error ‘Internal communication error. Exiting.’ (see attached picture).
You should first have restarted the router. You need to restart the router after every upgrade (either of firmware or config).
Dorcots wrote:I have tried to obtain the initial config.bin using PC-Tool
what do you mean?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
hyperair
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hyperair » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:45 pm

thechief wrote:
Dorcots wrote:I have tried to obtain the initial config.bin using PC-Tool
what do you mean?
I think he means he tried to use PC-Tool to export the configuration space. I seriously wouldn't suggest that though. It never worked for me.

Edit by Neo: Fixed quote tags
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:33 pm

The PCTool has only limited use with the PSPbootloader, only practical use is for de-bricking / uploading firmware.

Can save / modify ENV BUT is 'set' to ADAM2 bootloader ENV size which is a lot smaller than that of the PSBootloader and useless for routers having the WLAN EEPROM settings.

Can't remember if the 'config backup' backs up the 'saved' config ( stored in mtd3 ) or the 'live' config (stored in RAM).
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
Dorcots
Novice
Novice

Post by Dorcots » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:07 am

thechief: Yes, you are right that backing up immediately after a Restore Defaults is a harsh test. No one would do this in normal use. I mentioned it as another of bringing up the rogue page – see ‘Config-bin will not send.gif’ and ‘Failed Backup Configuration Page.gif’ - both are very similar. It may not be clear from the pictures but in both cases the menubars (left and top) are missing and further navigation is not possible.
thechief wrote:I am not sure why you think that this represents a failure.
It is a failure because the next page is the ‘Config-bin will not send.gif’’. The top and left-hand menubars are missing (I may not have make this clear in my original post). Following this I am unable to properly access the router (‘Internal communication error. Exiting.’ Error). A Factory Reset is necessary.
thechief wrote:You should first have restarted the router. You need to restart the router after every upgrade (either of firmware or config).
I had performed a System > ‘Restart’ earlier on two occasions. I was unable to perform a Restart at this point because the router was no longer functioning properly (no top/side menubars). Or do you mean that I should simply power the router off > on. I have not tried that.

Biro: Thanks for the advice that PC-Tool is of no use for my router for any config.bin operation.

Has anyone tried doing an ‘Upgrade Gateway’ using the config.bin that I provided?
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:10 am

FWIW - A System Restart is not the same as a factory reset/reset to defaults as required during a f/w upgrade..... :?

EDIT: Power off router - press reset switch with pen tip or similar and keep depressed as you power on router and keep depressed for 20-30seconds while led's flash....
Jim

Dorcots
Novice
Novice

Post by Dorcots » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:29 am

Shotokan101 wrote:FWIW - A System Restart is not the same as a factory reset/reset to defaults as required during a f/w upgrade..... :?
Yes, I know. I did a System > 'Restore Defaults' after upgrading the firmware at the beginning of my testing described above. I believe thechief was referring to a System > 'Restart' at a later staging in the test sequence.

As I understand it, a Factory Reset (power on with reset button held...) is an alternative to a System > 'Restore Defaults' (i.e in software) when firmware has been upgraded.

Incidently, I have to hold the reset button for over 2 minutes to get the 6-off flashes of the LAN LEDs.

Edit - typo corrected: 'Restart (i.e in software)' now reads 'Restore Defaults (i.e in software)'
Last edited by Dorcots on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:31 am

I believe that you need to reset to defaults BEFORE a f/w upgarde and AFTER a f/w upgrade.....

Regarding the 2 minute wait - what model of router ?
Jim

Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:42 am

BTW - my RT V2.3 Router loads your config.bin o.k. :wink:
Jim

thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:50 am

Dorcots wrote:thechief: Yes, you are right that backing up immediately after a Restore Defaults is a harsh test. No one would do this in normal use. I mentioned it as another of bringing up the rogue page – see ‘Config-bin will not send.gif’ and ‘Failed Backup Configuration Page.gif’ - both are very similar. It may not be clear from the pictures but in both cases the menubars (left and top) are missing and further navigation is not possible.
Sigh ... Please read the entire screen. You are not supposed to be navigating to anything.
Dorcots wrote:
thechief wrote:I am not sure why you think that this represents a failure.
It is a failure because the next page is the ‘Config-bin will not send.gif’’. The top and left-hand menubars are missing (I may not have make this clear in my original post). Following this I am unable to properly access the router (‘Internal communication error. Exiting.’ Error). A Factory Reset is necessary.
Are you sure of that? Again, I repeat - it is not a failure. The only thing you are to do when you reach that page is to restart the router. The instructions on that page are very explicit about that. Why do you need a sidebar when the only thing you should do is to restart the router? And I am not sure why we are having this conversation.
Dorcots wrote:
thechief wrote:You should first have restarted the router. You need to restart the router after every upgrade (either of firmware or config).
I had performed a System > ‘Restart’ earlier on two occasions. I was unable to perform a Restart at this point because the router was no longer functioning properly (no top/side menubars). Or do you mean that I should simply power the router off > on.
The screen tells you to "RESTART the gateway", doesn't it? And there is a button on the screen titled "Restart Gateway", isn't there? Are you saying that this button does not restart the router when you click on it?