RouterTech Firmware v2.5 Discussion

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
xbipin
Regular
Regular

Post by xbipin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:00 am

i have successfully upgraded d-link 2540T firmware from older RT to the latest RT firmware, no problems so far.
sad thing is i had sent the led config like 6 months back to be included in the new firmware but hasnt been, no issues coz its just that one extra led which is used as wireless led in 2640T which remains off all the time.

Other than that everything working fine till now, one question though, i have bought a ALIX system and installed monowall onto it and want to use it like a firewall but i want the RT firmware to pass the WAN ip to any one LAN port so that monowall gets the WAN ip and it will do all the NAT and Firewall stuff rather than the router doing it. Anyway i can just make the router simply pass the WAN ip to the ALIX and i dont need half bridge mode, need a full bridge, i had tried that will older RT firmware but didnt seem to work.
any help or guide is appreciated.

D-link 2540T , 4MB flash, 16MB RAM, non wireless, 4 port switch
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:35 pm

The led.conf you posted here

viewtopic.php?t=1413&highlight=led

is the same as the D-link 624 referenced earlier in this thread (and will be in the next release of RT firmware). I am not entirely sure the "status" led will work correctly, because it may be that the D-link core logic is specially modified. There was a similar issue with ADSL2MUE "power led".

If you use pppoe you can set the 'modem' to full bridge mode and enter the username/password in your router, the modem then knows nothing about the WAN IP. If pppoa and you enter details into the modem, you need half-bridge mode - have you tried this?
xbipin
Regular
Regular

Post by xbipin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:05 pm

we use pppoa here in UAE and pppoe doesnt work at all so i need to enter the username and password details in the modem itself and i tried half bridge in the older version but wasnt successful and i still have to try in the new firmware, seems a bit confusing to me as i havent been able to get it working till date.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:29 pm

Please see the readme for Routertech Half-Bridge mode in the RT2.5 firmware downloads, the examples in there were all tested to be working before release on my pppoa only dynamic IP connection.
Frontier
Novice
Novice

Post by Frontier » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:18 pm

thechief wrote:I am afraid this does not tell me why the problem is happening. It should not be happening. The driver should reload automatically without requiring user intervention. Something is certainly wrong. Perhaps you may want to flash your firmware again.
I've performed the following procedure (took about 45 minutes):
- Performed factory reset on G624T using RT 2.5.
- Flashed the G624T back to the original D-Link firmware (the one I've posted earlier) using the corrupt image method (it's impossible to flash back to the original firmware from inside the RT one).
- Re-flashed the D-Link official firmware from inside the recovered original D-Link firmware.
- Performed factory reset using the original firmware.
- Flashed the G624T again with RT 2.5 and performed a factory reset after 5 minutes from flashing.
- Restored my settings from the RT config.bin file.

Now the router honors the "Restart Access Point" option and indeed restarts the tiap driver. Your suggestion was correct; I cannot understand however what went wrong in the first place.

Anyway, thanks for the advice :D

One last question: what's the difference between the option Tools->System Commands ->Restart and Tools->Reboot Router? I thought the Restart command actually reboots the router.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:38 pm

Glad you're sorted. :)

With regard to your question, "Tools->Reboot Router" first unmounts any mounted filesystem (e.g., minix, cifs) before rebooting the router. This is a RouterTech extension. The other one is a standard feature, and it does not first unmount anything (so if you've written data to a minix filesystem, the data might be lost).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
xbipin
Regular
Regular

Post by xbipin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:32 pm

i was reading through the half bridge mode tutorials but some things im confused so its better to ask the experts on it.
Basically my d-lik router has 4 ports but i will be connecting port 1 to the monowall router and the 3 wont be used at all as monowall will do all the nat, firewall, dhcp for all the machines so basically i was looking for a command for the half bridge script which enables half bridge from the time the router starts so as soon as WAN ip is got, its passed to monowall and then it keeps doing that everytime the router reboots from power down or reboots from disconnection, im not sure if monowall will post for new ip as soon as it looses it due to DSL going down but theory wise it should so lets assume no client machine will actually connect directly to the existing router, all will go through monowall and monowall will do all the dhcp, nat, firewall so im looking for a command for the script that makes the router pass wan ip to monowall as soon as it gets it in the same way as issued by isp which is dynamic though and the router shouldnt do any qos or firewall or nat at all and i wont need to access the router gui at all as it should work like plain dsl modem and the router should keep its RAM free, basically the router shouldnt think at all and let monowal do all the thinking as in qos, shaping, firewall, nat, dhcp, upnp, port mapping etc.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:54 pm

There's a fundamental issue in half-bridge, before it gets and can give the WAN IP the modem will give a local IP. There's no easy way for the modem to tell the router the IP needs to change, so the usual way is to set a short lease time (about 60 secs) in the Modem GUI, then the router will be forced to renew its IP every 30 seconds.

Why not try with just a PC connected directly to the router and give the following command via Telnet (or web screen "run command")

pppHB.sh init -nofw

Then repair the connection (if windows) and you should see your PC gets the ISP WAN IP, Gateway and DNS servers. If that works plug the Ethernet cable into your firewall and get it to connect via auto dhcp. If this works the above command can be added to the modem environment and it will be executed everytime the modem boots. But there may be some extra settings we need - I don't know monowall.
beingaware

Post by beingaware » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:52 am

Hey. I can't seem to download:
routertech-ar7rd-adam2-4ports-firmware-20080331.zip

Downloads keep failing, on any OS I use with any browser and/or download manager I use.

Could someone please be so kind and email it to me? :)
xbipin
Regular
Regular

Post by xbipin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:44 am

mstombs wrote:There's a fundamental issue in half-bridge, before it gets and can give the WAN IP the modem will give a local IP. There's no easy way for the modem to tell the router the IP needs to change, so the usual way is to set a short lease time (about 60 secs) in the Modem GUI, then the router will be forced to renew its IP every 30 seconds.

Why not try with just a PC connected directly to the router and give the following command via Telnet (or web screen "run command")

pppHB.sh init -nofw

Then repair the connection (if windows) and you should see your PC gets the ISP WAN IP, Gateway and DNS servers. If that works plug the Ethernet cable into your firewall and get it to connect via auto dhcp. If this works the above command can be added to the modem environment and it will be executed everytime the modem boots. But there may be some extra settings we need - I don't know monowall.
i tried the way u said, works fine. one question though, setting a short lease time, wont it cause a problem for modem and router?
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:26 am

xbipin wrote:i tried the way u said, works fine. one question though, setting a short lease time, wont it cause a problem for modem and router?
Its one message and reply to renew the lease so the traffic and load is negligible compared to the other things those devices do! D-Link variant of half-bridge ZIPB uses fixed 30 second leases I recall, in RouterTech it is user selectable at least, but it reverts to 30 second when the WAN IP is down. If your WAN IP doesn't change very often you can extend the lease time to say 5 minutes (Note you should make such a change with the modem not in half-bridge mode, or otherwise you will save the configuration without nat/firewall etc which won't work on its own).

Did it work with Monowall? Do you still have access to the modem web gui?
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:44 am

beingaware wrote:Hey. I can't seem to download:
routertech-ar7rd-adam2-4ports-firmware-20080331.zip

Downloads keep failing, on any OS I use with any browser and/or download manager I use.

Could someone please be so kind and email it to me? :)
Sorry we are having technical difficulties with downloads at the moment.

It is being looked into as we speak

RouterTech apologise for any inconvenience caused.
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
beingaware

Post by beingaware » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:58 am

Just came across something.

It seems that the latest firmware seems to lock you out of Telnet.

Running a Open 624 here (600ER).

my own password and the default password both fail.

Http management has no issues so I am wondering whats up.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:46 pm

beingaware wrote: It seems that the latest firmware seems to lock you out of Telnet.
Username: root
Password: Admin

?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:08 pm

beingaware wrote:Just came across something.

It seems that the latest firmware seems to lock you out of Telnet.

Running a Open 624 here (600ER).

my own password and the default password both fail.

Http management has no issues so I am wondering whats up.
Read the docs.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.