RouterTech Firmware v2.5 Discussion

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:55 am

OpenWrt have source code to Tiatm, (the kernel module that communicates with binary DSP driver), and the knowledge to modify it for a different kernel, so that's something to watch. There are a couple of other variables that may be useful, such as "fine_gain_control" and "fine_gain_value" but no idea what they do and what format.

Most of the tweaks seem to trade off speed for stability, which is what you want for variable lines. I wonder if the core code was optimized for marketing reasons when reviewers compare connect speeds with different modems on same line?

Speedtouch (Broadcom chipset) have disabled a lot of their tweaks in their latest firmwares, it may be that they are "non-standard" or ISPs just want exclusive control over such inner workings.
SimpleNick

Post by SimpleNick » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:52 am

the file for the following firmware in the first post is broken, resulting in partial & corrupted download:

routertech-rohs-ar7wrd-pspboot-firmware-20080331.zip

can any kind soul please send me the file, or update the link?
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:54 am

SimpleNick, please see this: viewtopic.php?t=2049
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
SimpleNick

Post by SimpleNick » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:50 pm

Right, don't mean to be rude, but won't it be better if a temporary mirror can be provided during the outage?
..As a gentle reminder, the download link on top of all pages of RouterTech domain reads "Download it today", unsuspecting users might end up wasting time repeatedly attempting for the download..
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:05 pm

Good point - download link should probably be "suspended" till problem fixed or alternative provided.

Nice of you to offer to host the Mirror BTW :twisted:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
SimpleNick

Post by SimpleNick » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:47 pm

well, i certainly won't mind uploading them on behalf as there are free file hosting service everywhere on the net.
as long as the files are hosted under a registered account, removing them should be easy once the outage has been sorted out.
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:05 pm

Seeing as the downloads have been an issue for longer than I ever imagined they would be, I'm going to be putting up a mirror tonight.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
xbipin
Regular
Regular

Post by xbipin » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:11 pm

if any1 need help with a server then i got a very high capacity server so if u guys want then i can host them there till things come to order

PM me if interested and ill provide the details
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:12 pm

I run a hosting company - we can manage ;)

Thanks for your offer though :)
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
Frontier
Novice
Novice

Setting Dynamic DNS Update job

Post by Frontier » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:32 am

Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible to manage (i.e change) the time interval between two DDNS updates. I've noticed that on RT 2.5, after a couple of days the Dynamic DNS update does not take place, leaving me unable to manage my computers remotely.

How RT deals with DDNS updates, i.e it updates automatically upon WAN IP change by the ISP or there's a fixed amount of time from one DDNS update to another?

Many thanks in advance.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:36 am

I'm pretty sure ddns only updates on WAN IP change. Services such as dyndns regard repeated unneeded updates as "abusive", but the free service requires an update every 28 days I recall, not a big problem with adsl for me!, but used to be an issue with cable.
Frontier
Novice
Novice

Post by Frontier » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:57 am

mstombs wrote:I'm pretty sure ddns only updates on WAN IP change. Services such as dyndns regard repeated unneeded updates as "abusive", but the free service requires an update every 28 days I recall, not a big problem with adsl for me!, but used to be an issue with cable.
Thanks for the answer.

The reason I'm asking is because either my ISP changes something (the IP maybe) or DynDNS, but the result it's the same: I cannot "see" my network from outside via the DynDNS service.

Yesterday the router was rebooted and the DynDNS dynamic domain was updated; I'm pretty sure that by tomorrow it won't be updated (i.e my WAN IP is different from the one registered in DynDNS). I was hoping to cure this issue by having the router to update it's DynDNS name every 30 or so hours (so that DynDNS won't consider it abusive), just to make sure that it's updated. It happened that I needed to log on to my server from afar and it was not possible because of not updated DynDNS account; that's how I discovered this issue.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:18 am

I've not noticed a problem with "no-ip" dyndns service updating here. I can force a reconnect with "killall pppd" on my pppoa connection which always comes back with a new WAN IP address. I believe you can define multiple ddns services - would be interesting to know if problem is with all.
Mikee.

D-Link DSL-362T + RouterTech v2.5 AnnexB - working

Post by Mikee. » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:04 pm

Hello,

I just want to report, AnnexB firmware is working properly for me. My device is D-Link DSL-362T CZ(AnnexB variant of DSL-302T, with 1 LAN, 1 USB, Adam2 bootloader, 8M RAM, 2M flash). Im using it for several weeks without any problems and it seems more stable than original firmware. I flashed it with PCTool 2.3. Got 4 of these modems, its cheap here - only 6,80€. I wish to have ssh support in fw, because I don't need USB and IP Accounting functions and ssh is most wanted for me. Somewhere in forum I found thread about it, but nothing step-by-step. I'm not a programmer, so it seems impossible for me to handle it myself. Is there some how-to about switching or changing packages in fw? Thanks for reply.

Greetings, Mikee.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: D-Link DSL-362T + RouterTech v2.5 AnnexB - working

Post by thechief » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:51 pm

Mikee. wrote:Is there some how-to about switching or changing packages in fw? Thanks for reply.
You can't, without rebuilding the firmware image. And that is not a route you would want to lightly go into. And I doubt that you could fit ssh support (dropbear and supporting files) into your 2mb flash.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.