RouterTech Firmware v2.6 Discussion

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
Frontier
Novice
Novice

Post by Frontier » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:40 pm

mstombs wrote:Can you post what the diagnostics identifies your flash chip to be please (new feature in RT2.6, previously users had to open up and identify chip).
System Diagnostics returns the following regarding the flash chip.

Code: Select all

Flash memory (chip) information
Flash type: AMD; Manufacturer=Unknown!.
Manufacturer_ID=0x00EC; Chip_ID=0x00A2; Chip_Size=0x400000; Erase_Regions=0x0002
If you need further information or testing, do not hesitate to ask.
mstombs wrote:
Could it be that the DSL-G624T runs out of memory while loading darkstat? After darkstat is loaded, I have about 900kB of memory available (I guess it is RAM).

That's a very generous amount of memory compared with 8MB ram devices so I think not. It is also not easy to comment on Linux memory usage, the OS uses free ram as cache, so numbers need careful interpretation. I think it must be something to do with your pppoe - most of us use pppoa to test.
I do not know but PPPoE / PPPoA should not be an issue with darkstat. It's impossible for me to tell if it works with PPPoA because my ISP does not support this encapsulation method anymore.
mstombs wrote:
Besides darkstat and the Update Gateway option, everything else works as before, no problems so far :)
Thanks, over 250 downloads - there must be more early-adopter users?
That's great :D
As I said, I'm more than willing to help beta-test the firmware; it's a great piece of software that works great with my hardware.

Another thing: on a previous post - where I provided my boot environment - you mentioned that I have a connection with the name 'connection1' where it should be 'connection0'. Here's something strange: I've deleted this variable (with unsetenv), saved and reboot and when the router was up, it was there again.

Then I did something else: I deleted my ISP connection setting, saved and rebooted and was gone. Then, I re-created my ISP connection settings (but with a different name this time) and after save/reboot, the name changed to 'connection0'; darkstat however did not work.

I've turned off the router and after power on, the variable 'connection1' was there again, together with 'connection0' :?

Confusing huh?
What is this variable anyway? Could it be the current ISP connection session established?
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:56 pm

Don't worry about connection0/1 the "core logic" supports up to 8 virtual connections while we hope we don't break multiple connections I don't think we know how to use/test them. It may just be whether you edit the Quickstart, or create anew and delete quickstart.

RouterTech code supports multiple flash chips (thanks to the device drivers available in the Linux kernel), original manufacturers may only support specific ones in specific versions. I recall some special provision was required for ATMEL chips in certain G604T's. I cannot tell if "Manufacturer unknown" is helpful or not, but it may be useful (we have other examples of this). The speed of flashing firmwares of similar size is noticeably different between different routers.

I think theChief will take a rest from compiling for a bit but sure he will take note of your offer!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:10 pm

Quickstart is connection0. If you delete the quickstart connection, and then create a new one without first rebooting, then that will be connection1 (because connection0 is still in memory unless you reboot first). As mstombs said, you shouldn't worry about it.

As for the flash chip, it seems to be manufactured by Samsung (see here). We are not aware of any write issues with Samsung flash chips (unlike Atmel, where fast writes have to be turned off). Perhaps there is an issue with Samsung as well?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:16 pm

@Frontier: your problem with darkstat is best reported to the darkstat author. It seems a peculiar problem, which we cannot reproduce. Perhaps the darkstat author will be able to help.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
Frontier
Novice
Novice

Post by Frontier » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:18 am

I've contacted DarkStat author, let's hope he can help.
However there is DarkStat 3.0.708 out and in it's changelog there are some fixes that might be responsible for my case.

Is it possible to compile DarkStat 3.0.708 and install it to the router? I have access to an Ubuntu 8.04 x64 box.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:39 am

I posted this yesterday, but it seems to have vanished. :? Anyway, I'm posting it again. This is from the darkstat manual:
TROUBLESHOOTING
If you are using PPPoE (for example, on ADSL), and sniffing on an ethernet interface, you might see warnings about PPPoE packets:

ether: unknown protocol (8864)

In order to get usable statistics, you need to sniff on the tunnel interface that your PPPoE software provides. For example:

darkstat -i tun0

Or, on OpenBSD or NetBSD, sniff on the pppoe interface:

darkstat -i pppoe0
Frontier
Novice
Novice

Post by Frontier » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:49 am

@thechief: nothing of what is suggested in the darkstat manual is applicable here.

There are no tun0 or pppoe0 interfaces in RT 2.6.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:00 am

Have you tried nas0 that is mentioned in your log?

Also are you running in no-nat mode with public IPs on your internal clients?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:16 am

Frontier wrote:@thechief: nothing of what is suggested in the darkstat manual is applicable here.

There are no tun0 or pppoe0 interfaces in RT 2.6.
Why not run "listconnections.sh" and post the output?
Frontier
Novice
Novice

Post by Frontier » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:39 am

thechief wrote: Why not run "listconnections.sh" and post the output?
connection1 mux1 encaps1 Forthnet 8:35 pppoe
Frontier
Novice
Novice

Post by Frontier » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:45 am

mstombs wrote:Have you tried nas0 that is mentioned in your log?
Yes, nothing captured :(
mstombs wrote: Also are you running in no-nat mode with public IPs on your internal clients?
If you mean 'no-nat mode' that on my ISP connection settings the NAT options is unselected, then no. I have NAT table entries regarding my servers.

It did occured me what you were saying so last night I did another: downloaded the Windows port of darkstat and set-up my server box to act as an internet gateway as well (with darkstat running there). Darkstat did not had problems monitoring all packets processed via the server PC.

I'll try to disable NAT and post results.
Frontier
Novice
Novice

Post by Frontier » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:13 am

@mstombs: I'm not sure I can disable NAT over PPPoE :(
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:22 pm

Agreed, you can only disable Nat if you have a range of public addresses, and can give one to the router to act as gateway and the other servers have real Internet addresses too.
acrux
Novice
Novice

Post by acrux » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm

Roper FLYNET ADSL2/2+ Wireless Router (ROADSL2P-WG) upgraded to 2.6 release (routertech-ar7wrd-pspboot-firmware-20080723.zip) with no problem.

greetz,
Acrux
tasso85
Experienced
Experienced

Post by tasso85 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:45 am

Successfully upgraded my D-Link G624T to version 2.6 :D but I had to use PC-Tool to have it installed correctly... webui upgrade won't work... oh, no problems anyway, now seems all fine :D

and for all the RouterTech group... hip-hip... HURRAH :mrgreen: