Reconnection after ADSL lost

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
vmssys

Reconnection after ADSL lost

Post by vmssys » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:02 pm

Installed a SAR-600EW running 2.5 RT firmware. everything seemed great until after a couple of days the router lost the internet and needed rebooting. this has now happened numerous times. the ISP supplied router is a zytel and in 1 year of use I can never remember lost internet.

Is there a config setting that forces a reconnect if the internet goes off momentarily for any reason such as thunderstorm etc???

Mark
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:04 am

Hi,

You might want to look at this: pages.php?page=44 - particularly under "Synching problems?"

You can use something like the Router Stats Logger (viewtopic.php?t=1501 ) to monitor your connection and see if you have poor stats and if the SNR Margin is too low.

The router should reconnect automatically (unless the thunderstorm has fried part of it) but the RSL can reboot the router for you when it senses that the Internet connection is down (and the ping IP stops responding).
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
vmssys

Post by vmssys » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:04 pm

Thank you for your reply. I shall read in detail later today.

The router is currently working fine so I know nothing wrong just the occasional disconnection/freeze. The problem I have is the router is in spain on telefonica and I'm in the UK. they always just turn off router to get working again but I know they never had problem before with the Zytel model.

I should be able to set a ping test/restart using remote access to their pc.

Many thanks for your reply.
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:58 pm

If you have a look in the firmware documentation you will see the 'checksync' commend that can be added to the environment. This adds a job to cron at router startup to check for sync at the specified time interval and to reboot the router if it's missing.
features list wrote:The ability for the router to monitor (at specified hourly intervals) whether the external (WAN) connection is active, and to reboot itself it it has lost its sync upon a check being made. This feature is experimental and is only for those who know what they are doing. The feature is enabled by making an entry for "checksync.sh" in the bootloader environment. Entering the following command (only once) from the command prompt in a telnet or ssh session, and then rebooting the router, will do the job: setenv checksync.sh 6 (this means "do the sync checks every 6 hours" - you can specify any number between 1 and 24 - and if you want to turn it off, run: unsetenv checksync.sh )
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan