G604T upgrade to RT 2.6 firmware issue

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
Huike
Novice
Novice

G604T upgrade to RT 2.6 firmware issue

Post by Huike » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:37 am

My G604T is currently on firmware DSL-G604T_V2.00B12.AU_20070509 which was downloaded from Dlink Australia website and it worked ok. The default IP for the router is 10.1.1.1

I tried to follow the RT 2.6 upgrade doc as following to upgrade it to the RT 2.6 firmware:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copied from RT 2.6 FW upgrade guide:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1B. For AR7WRD routers using the ADAM2 boot loader (e.g., the old (non-"R" series) Solwise SAR600EW)

1. Point your browser at http://10.1.1.1
2. Supply your username: (possible default "Admin" or "admin")
3. Supply your password: (possible default "Admin" or "admin)
4. Click on "Log in"
5. At the main menu screen, click on "Tools" at the top menu bar
6. Click on the "Update Gateway" at the left menu bar
7. Click on "Browse" to open the file browser, and select the *config.img (i.e., the config file)
8. Click on the "Update Gateway" button - this will upload the config file
9. Click on "browse" to open the file browser, and select the *kernel.upgrade.bin (i.e, the kernel). If you have the Dlink G604T/G624T series (i.e., with the ATMEL flash), you have to select the single (i.e., combined) firmware image instead, and then proceed direct to point 12 below.
10. Click on the "Update Gateway" button - this will upload the kernel
11. Click on "browse" to open the file browser, and select *filesys_upgrade.img (i.e., the filesystem)
12. Click on the "Update Gateway" button - this will upload the filesystem (or the whole firmware for the DLink G6x4T series)
13. Wait for at least 5 minutes before doing anything else (even when the progress counter has reached 100%, you still need to wait for some extra time)
14. If the LEDs on your router are not correct, but everything else is working, then you need to login via telnet/ssh and select the correct LED file for your router (if available)

I followed it until the Step 7 and Step 8 to upload the RTech_AR7WRD_config.img, but when I clicked the Apply button to upload the *config.img file the router started reboot by itself, it did not give me a chance to follow the step 12 and the rest steps to upload the firmware image file. And this reboot bricked my router and I have to un-brick it.

My question: is the procedure described in the RT 2.6 docs correct? If not what's the EXACT procedure to do it? Thanks.
hyperair
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hyperair » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:07 am

That is the correct method of flashing via web. However, for different routers and firmwares, mileage may vary. I personally prefer to upgrade the filesys followed by kernel followed by config in the Aztech DSL600EW, as it seems to work better. Either way I prefer to do the upgrades using TI Remote (the software used to unbrick) or using D-Link's firmware upgrade tool in corrupted image mode. Those yield the best results.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: G604T upgrade to RT 2.6 firmware issue

Post by thechief » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:41 am

Huike wrote:My question: is the procedure described in the RT 2.6 docs correct? If not what's the EXACT procedure to do it? Thanks.
Did you run the RUC before upgrading? What firmware image did the RUC suggest? Most G604Ts have their mtd partitions configured for single image upgrades - i.e., no separate flashing of config.img.

PS: the G604T is notorious for failed webui upgrades. I think that is pretty much all over this forum. Most people use the pctool or or ciclamab (single image).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Huike
Novice
Novice

Post by Huike » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have re-flashed the RT 2.6 firmware using the webui on the AU 2.0B12 firmware and it seems worked. Will let you know if there is any issues. Thanks.
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:53 am

Ironicly, I have always been able to upgrade to routertech through webui from the FACTORY firmware, on two different dlinks, it's just every upgrade after that which fails.( routertech to newer routertech). FYI
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:52 am

It might be a free RAM issue. Do you first reset to defaults?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
Huike
Novice
Novice

Post by Huike » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:25 am

the RT2.6 is running pretty well. But I found one thing seems not right: the /proc/ticfg/env is empty, it is 0 size. Is this a problem? If so how do I restore it?

Another thing I found with the RT2.6 is the Status LED will stop flashing after a while and became constantly on.
hyperair
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hyperair » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:37 am

Isn't it supposed to be that way? It becomes constantly on when you've finally successfully connected to the Internet, including authentication and all that jazz.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:29 am

Huike wrote:the RT2.6 is running pretty well. But I found one thing seems not right: the /proc/ticfg/env is empty, it is 0 size. Is this a problem? If so how do I restore it?
If "printenv" returns data, then there is no problem.
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:04 am

ram is one of first trouble shooting tricks i do. I even went as far as to disable wireless first and rebooted to free up a LOT of ram, it still fails. webui upgrades just do not work with this router. ever
banksghost

Post by banksghost » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:39 pm

I had the same problem with my Dlink G-604T.
Router died after uploading config.img. (Step 7)
After hard reset the default Dlinks firmware was loading.
So I skiped this step :wink: and uploaded single firmware image.
And it's working fine :D
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:32 am

yeah, it always ugprades from factory firmware, no idea why. With routertech to routertech i get an invalid CRC error. or it'll appear to go through, but then reboot into old version still.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:46 am

banksghost wrote:I had the same problem with my Dlink G-604T.
Router died after uploading config.img. (Step 7)
Step 7 should not be followed if you're upgrading via a single image. The docs have been amended accordingly.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:49 am

mysticalos wrote:yeah, it always ugprades from factory firmware, no idea why. With routertech to routertech i get an invalid CRC error. or it'll appear to go through, but then reboot into old version still.
CRC errors are probably due to bootloader checks. "Nothing happened" errors are normally due to low RAM (these could be overcome by disconnecting from the phone line, resetting to defaults, and turning off everything that is not absolutely necessary (e.g., usb, cron, sntp, etc.)).
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:36 am

heh it uses more ram at defaults, cause it turns wireless back on :P how much free ram is needed? figured 2 megs free should be more than enough