RUC - Warning! Core Logic (NSP) could not be read;

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
derekw
Novice
Novice

RUC - Warning! Core Logic (NSP) could not be read;

Post by derekw » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi,

Hope I'm in the right forum :)

I've run the RUC in anticipation of installing RT2.6 and got the error about not being able to read the NSP core logic (I've already updated to the latest Safecom firmware). Does this mean I shouldn't try the upgrade? Help will be appreciated :D The output from RUC was:-

Router Upgrade Check 1.2.9 17/09/2008 07:38:11
Router IP: 192.168.1.1
CLI is needed
Description: Safecom SART2-4112
Board type: AR801A.SAFECOM
Product ID: AR7RD
Bootloader: psbl
RAM 8.0 MB
Flash (ROM) 2.0 MB
ADAM2: No
No default env: No
Linux version: 2.4.17_mvl21-malta-mips_fp_le
Firmware build: T360C.060317a31_35
Firmware version: 3.6.0C
Firmware stamp: 20060317121507
CPU: MIPS 4KEc V4.8
DSP: 3.02.06.00
Annex: A
/proc/wlan: No
/usr/sbin/wlan: No
TIAP: No
TNETW: No
Wireless: No
WIFI chip: N/A
WIFI chip conf: No
Ports: 1
Marvell (or Marvell like): No
NSP: T360C.060317a31_35
Manufacturers: Castlenet Technology Inc
RNDIS: Telogy Networks Inc
HRNDIS: Castlenet Technology Inc
Warning! Core Logic (NSP) could not be read. If the Core Logic version is too low you may need to upgrade to your router manufacturer's latest firmware first.

Select an AR7RD PSPBOOT 1 PORT firmware.
Latest: routertech-ar7rd-pspboot-1port-firmware-20080723.zip
Please read the instructions that come with the firmware files before you upgrade.
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:58 pm

The upgrade has worked in the past for other SART2-4112 routers so there should be no problems. Flashing a firmware always has some element of risk though, so if you have any doubts do not try it.

If you want to give it a go then make absolutely sure that you have read all the documentation and be fully prepared on what might be required to do to recover it if it goes wrong.
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
derekw
Novice
Novice

Thanks, I'll try it...

Post by derekw » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:13 pm

Thanks for that SyBorg, I think I'll give it a go tonight (can't do it remotely as I will need to do hard resets!) :D
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Re: Thanks, I'll try it...

Post by SyBorg » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:03 pm

derekw wrote:Thanks for that SyBorg, I think I'll give it a go tonight (can't do it remotely as I will need to do hard resets!) :D
NEVER upgrade remotely!!! NEVER try to upgrade over wireless!!

Although it has been done in the past, it's a very good way of increasing your chances of getting a brick.
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
derekw
Novice
Novice

Failed upgrade - still Safecom screens but still functioning

Post by derekw » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi,

I've finally got round to trying the upgrade - it didn't seem to go like the documentations said; I followed the steps 1-5 then steps 1C in the upgrade.html doc. After clicking the "Update Gateway" button I get a short pause then a 90 second countdown - no progress bar - and then the Safecom login screen again. Ignoring that, I logged in again and did a "Restore Defaults". Still getting the Safecom screens though. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:11 pm

Either you need to clean your browser cache, or the Safecom firmware's upgrader is broken and does not get the job (of getting a new firmware onto the router) done. If the latter, then you will need to use the pctool. I would advise great caution before going down that route, as you may easily get a brick.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
derekw
Novice
Novice

Got it working but Slow Web and Telnet to the router.

Post by derekw » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:52 am

:oops: I was actually uploading the Safecom binary! After uploading the correct RouterTech one I eventually got it to work - the browser cache caught me out; may you could add something to the instructions to warn people in advance.

Having got the new firmware installed, however, I have another problem. Both the Web interface and the Telnet interface to the router are *incredibly* slow! I'm talking about 3 minutes per page on the Web interface and Telnet is so slow that I can't log in as it times out after 60 seconds. Browsing the internet is faster than with the Safecom firmware (possibly the different Plusnet MTU setting). I've re-booted a few times but still the same
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:15 am

Are you using the default "quickstart" WAN connection or have you configured a "new" on for your ISP ? - if so then you should delete the old unused quickstart connection.

Also have you reset to defaults after the upgrade ?

Jim
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
derekw
Novice
Novice

Slow Web and Telnet

Post by derekw » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:50 am

I did reset to defaults after the install (with a hard reset). I did install a new ISP and haven't deleted the quickstart - I'll try that this evening. I must say, however, that I'm a little baffled as to why WAN side settings would cause the interfaces to local the local Web and Telnet to be very slow.; incidently they were fine with the Safecom firmware. Obviously, also, the lower layer connection on the LAN interface must be fine as browsing the WWW is fine.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:54 am

Some features, like darkstat, SNMP etc can be resource hungry (depending on how they are set up) which can in turn slow down the router's web or Telnet interfaces - it's something you might want to look for ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
derekw
Novice
Novice

Slow Web and Telnet interfaces

Post by derekw » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:05 pm

SNMP is not currently ticked and I didn't do anything to enables Darkstat; I've set up a couple of static LAN IP addresses within the DHCP range and a couple of port forwarding rules (5900-5900->5900 and 6689-6689->6689) but the interfaces were slow before that - it took me about an hour to set up just that little bit. Incicently, the very first login page is very fast (probably the browser cache?) and then about 2-3 minutes to see the first status page :(
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:17 pm

OK, what does the System Diagnostics (System -> System Diagnostics) say? How much free memory is there? Does the Optimise RAM function have any effect?

Are you using any P2P (with many concurrent connections) on the router?
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
derekw
Novice
Novice

Slow Web and Telnet

Post by derekw » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm

I'll try the system diagnostics and optimise when I get home tonight and post the results. I'll probably also reset, re-flash the firmware to the Safecom and then reset and re-flash the Routertech firmware and then reset yet again (shades of Windoze 95!) to see what happens.

I'm not currently running any P2P or anything like that - one step at a time for me 8)
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:59 pm

If you don't have or use usb, disabling the usb driver from loading can free up a fair amount of ram.
derekw
Novice
Novice

Disable USB interface

Post by derekw » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:28 pm

Presumably I'd need to be able to get into Telnet to disable the USB interface - I can't get into Telnet :? Perhaps after re-flashing the firmware I'll be able to - if so disabling USB sounds like a good idea - how would I do it (I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with Linux :cry: )