SWAMR-54108 turned into doorstop

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Sun May 14, 2006 3:18 pm

The 192.168.100.1 May be the correct IP.
If you telnet the router and type in "cat /proc/ticfg/env" and look for "IPA"
(Could also try "grep IPA /proc/ticfg/env" should list just the correct entry)
And see what it is set to as this is the IP used by the PCTool NOT the one set through the webadmin ! Know mine is set to 192.168.1.1 but think I set it to that ( it has been bricked so many times while trying firmwares for other routers and our own attempts at compiling the source code that not much of the original enviroment settings exist, think at one time it got so messed up the enviroment was 'rebuilt' )

The PCTool works best when used with the FS and Kernel files supplied with the safecom version ( Don't think it likes the bigger firmwares ), once it is up and running then can be upgraded via the web admin !

After using the PCTool then router should always be hard reset to factory defaults and rest again again after upgrading to RT firmware as some of the improvenments are in the 'factory default' config file, unfortunately means all settings Must be re-entered manually ( not from a backup file as the backup would remove the updated settings !)
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
adamski

Post by adamski » Sun May 14, 2006 4:23 pm

The factory reset seemed to do the trick.

I held the power button down whilst switching on. Lightes flashed a number of times. After about a minute, and another power cycle, it all kicked in.

Upgrading the firmware worked as well this time, so now I'm on the latest RouterTech version. The only thing different this time was that the router was directly connected to my pc.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun May 14, 2006 4:53 pm

adamski wrote:The only thing different this time was that the router was directly connected to my pc.
Hmm ... how was it connected before? I hope not via wireless!
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
adamski

Post by adamski » Sun May 14, 2006 6:54 pm

No that pc was connected via 2 swtiches before it hit the router.

I have a 16 port switch coming strqigh out the router one of the ports goes to another 8 port switch in my play room. This is where it was connected.

This time round, i used a laptop connected to my other wireless a/p and hard wired a direct cat5 cable to the router (so nothing in the way).

I just hope with all this effort, that this new router solves my dns problem i've been having with Bulldog! (this is now my fourth router - they never seem to last more than 18 months!)

Thanks again for all your help
Adam
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Sun May 14, 2006 7:00 pm

let us know about the dns issue (suggest another thread) and someone will no doubt chip in with some help.

looks like you're well on the way to resolving your current issue :D
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
caoboth

Post by caoboth » Fri May 26, 2006 12:31 pm

Hi all

Ive got a similar prob got pc-tool 2.1 running and its showing 192.168.100.1 however everythign else is grayed out (most strange)

pc has a fixed 192.168.1.3

Any help appreciated

Andy
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri May 26, 2006 12:53 pm

caoboth wrote:Hi all

Ive got a similar prob got pc-tool 2.1 running and its showing 192.168.100.1 however everythign else is grayed out (most strange)

pc has a fixed 192.168.1.3

Any help appreciated

Andy
By this I presume you mean that your router has been turned into a doorstop (a.k.a. a "brick"). Everything is grayed out probably because the IP address is not valid.

The first think you should try is a factory reset - i.e., turn off router, press the reset button (close to the power switch), while still pressing it, turn on the power, and keep holding the reset button for about 2 minutes (this will go through several rounds of lights flashing, disappearing, etc.). Then release the reset button and let the router boot up normally, and hope for the best. If it doesn't solve the problem, then it's back to the pctool.

The timing to get the pctool in is a hit and miss affair (you only have a 3-second window when the router starts booting up).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Fri May 26, 2006 1:09 pm

Suggest changing the PC IP to something like 192.168.100.3 for the tool so that it is in the same subnet as the router.
Don't understand why the 'working' routers are given a default IP of 192.168.1.1 when the default for the recovery tool appears to be 192.168.100.1, Forgot about that potential problem as had already changed mine to 192.168.1.1 !
ImageImageImage
G'Day Laura
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Fri May 26, 2006 1:19 pm

For anyone that wants to change the IP used by the tool
Telnet to the router (username is root and password is the one used for admin)
and issue the command

Code: Select all

echo IPA 192.168.1.1 > /proc/ticfg/env

To check the current setting

Code: Select all

cat /proc/ticfg/env
and look for the value of IPA
ImageImageImage
G'Day Laura
caoboth

Post by caoboth » Fri May 26, 2006 2:16 pm

All

Just wanted to say chers for the replies, im guessign my timing was off by about a second retried the pc-toll after the reset didnt work and replaced the kernal and fs (i can now access the router and all it needs is for me to re add in my settings.)

Again many thanks

Andy
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Fri May 26, 2006 2:51 pm

Not quite water into wine...but a brick into a router is pretty good going. Glad you got the help you needed.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Fri May 26, 2006 2:56 pm

If it was 'bricked' by A***tech with (factory) firmware it would have been an RMA job !
Last edited by biro on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
G'Day Laura
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri May 26, 2006 3:15 pm

biro wrote:If it was 'bricked' by ****tech with (factory) firmware it would have been an RMA job !
Don't your hands ever get sore Biro ? :wink:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Simon A

Post by Simon A » Sun May 28, 2006 10:43 pm

Hi folks,
Hopefully someone out there can help me.
I've got the same problem with a swamr-54108, the firmware upgrade went pear shaped and it's now a brick. I can connect to the reouter using pc-tools and I can upload the new firmware, however once that's done I cant get the unit to perform a Factory reset. I can hold the reset button down all I like but it wont flash all the lights to indicate a factory reset is taking place.
Has anyone got any ideas?
Cheers for any help
Simon A
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Sun May 28, 2006 11:02 pm

Are you able to access the router via the webadmin ?
The reset should be from downpowered, press and hold the button in while powering up the router only release the button after 20 to 30 seconds.

Edit1 Can you tell us in what way the upgrade went 'pear shaped' If there is a problem then it's something we need to look into.

Edit2 If you have a saved config (or working config on the router i.e. not been reset) it can now be 'edited' by our update util see
viewtopic.php?p=5667#5667
so that it is compatible with the routertech firmware.
ImageImageImage
G'Day Laura