SWAMR-54108 turned into doorstop

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
Simon A

Post by Simon A » Mon May 29, 2006 12:37 am

the firmware went pearshaped because the power went halfway through the upgrade (the idiot who gave it to me apparently pulled the power out).
At the moment I've uplaoaded the factory firmware onto the router but for some reason i cant force the factory reset (i've used a clip to hold the reset button in for 5 minutes before and after powering up but it still doesn't go into the factory reset), does anyone know of a way to force the factory reset without the reset button? without the factory reset I cant get into the router via either the web interface or Telnet, also the router is not responding to pings.
Cheers for any help
Simon A
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon May 29, 2006 12:41 am

What is the exact state of the router now? (e.g., can it boot up? can you access the web interface? can you login via telnet?).

If the answer to any of these is "no", then you might need to use the pc-tool (already explained n this thread).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Simon A

Post by Simon A » Mon May 29, 2006 12:52 am

the state of the router now is, no web interface, no telnet, not powering up properly, but I can/have connected to it via the pctool and downloaded the firmware onto it.
I've put a meter across the reset button just to check the button works ok.
Does anyone have a copy of the post/diagnostics file so I can try uploading that?
Simon A
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Mon May 29, 2006 2:01 am

If you are using the PCTool to load the RouterTech firmware then DON'T as it will only work via the web based upgrade.
With the PCTool upload the "SWAMR-54108.360A.fs.bin" and the "SWAMR-54108.360A.kernel.bin" ( they come with the PCTool ) then reboot via the PCTool this should give you a working system theat you can then use to upgrade to the RouterTech firmware.

--------------------------

If that still doesn't work then there is one other step you can try.
with notepad ( or other simple text editor ) create two files
one called mtd0 and one called mtd1 ( names not important )
one should contain the text

Code: Select all

unsetenv mtd0
and the other

Code: Select all

unsetenv mtd1
Then use the "Execute Script Files" option browse to and run first "mtd0" then "mtd1" then upload the fs and kernel again and reset.
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
markybrooknow
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markybrooknow » Mon May 29, 2006 1:14 pm

edit
Last edited by markybrooknow on Mon May 29, 2006 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markybrooknow
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markybrooknow » Mon May 29, 2006 1:18 pm

Probably me being stupid again. But i can't find a version of PCtool with the two Safecom firmware files anywhere. Looked on "Software" Can you give me a link as I have the pctools software but not the other 2 files. ...
And yes I still have a doorstop :?

biro wrote: With the PCTool upload the "SWAMR-54108.360A.fs.bin" and the "SWAMR-54108.360A.kernel.bin" ( they come with the PCTool )
markybrooknow
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markybrooknow » Mon May 29, 2006 3:14 pm

Sorry I just found it on the safecom site! :oops:
Here's the link if anyone else wants it
http://www.safecom.cn/code/support/DMF.aspx?pid=236#
This is actually Pctools 2.1 plus boot and firmware files despite what it says
Last edited by markybrooknow on Mon May 29, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon May 29, 2006 3:20 pm

Cheers Marky...- thanks for the link :D
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Grzyb

Post by Grzyb » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:16 pm

Just Tried to Update my 54108 with the RouterTech firmware & when it re-booted, both the ADSL/WLAN led's failed to light up....

I've tried the PCTOOLS software & no joy....Will not access
Also Telnet doesn't work, comes up with the error can't open on Port 23??

Does NEI have any more suggestions, apart from trying a Serial Cable??

Appreciate any replies...
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:23 am

Here's a standard list of questions, the answers to which would provide the necessary background to any advice that we may give (I appreciate that you have already supplied some of the information - but please supply them again, in the format shown below):

1. What is the specific name and model of your router:
2. What was your router's firmware version before upgrading:
3. What bootloader (and bootloader version) does your router have:
4. What was the specific RouterTech firmware file that you tried to upgrade to:
5. Was the upgrading done via ethernet or wireless connection:
6. Was the upgrading done via the web interface or via the Pc Tool:
7. Was there any error or problem while you were trying to upgrade the firmware:
8. If so, what was the error/problem, and what did you do to overcome it:
9. Did you reset the router to factory defaults after upgrading:
10. Describe in detail the current state of your router:
11. If you switch the router off for about 5 minutes, and switch it on again, what happens:
12. Please supply the contents of your original /proc/ticfg/env file:
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
Grzyb

Post by Grzyb » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:50 am

thechief wrote:Here's a standard list of questions, the answers to which would provide the necessary background to any advice that we may give (I appreciate that you have already supplied some of the information - but please supply them again, in the format shown below):

1. What is the specific name and model of your router:
2. What was your router's firmware version before upgrading:
3. What bootloader (and bootloader version) does your router have:
4. What was the specific RouterTech firmware file that you tried to upgrade to:
5. Was the upgrading done via ethernet or wireless connection:
6. Was the upgrading done via the web interface or via the Pc Tool:
7. Was there any error or problem while you were trying to upgrade the firmware:
8. If so, what was the error/problem, and what did you do to overcome it:
9. Did you reset the router to factory defaults after upgrading:
10. Describe in detail the current state of your router:
11. If you switch the router off for about 5 minutes, and switch it on again, what happens:
12. Please supply the contents of your original /proc/ticfg/env file:
Here are some of the answers to your questions....
1)Safecom SWAMR-54108
2)Unsure of Firmware Version, Default One shipped with Router
3)Unsure Of Bootloader Version Number
4)routertech-ar7wrd-firmware-20060506.bin
5)Via Ethernet
6)Via Web Interface
7)No Problems were reported, Info on screen counted down & Router rebooted OK...Then nothing.
8)See 7) Tried the Hard Reset, Lights flashed Once, then nothing.
9)See Answers to 6) & 7)
10)The Power LED is lit, No ADSL led or WLAN led's are Lit. When I plug a lead to any of the ports, it's associated Led is illuminated & flashes periodically. I've tried to telnet into the Router, but without success, Receive an error about Port 23, not being open. I have also tried PCTools, all the boxes are greyed Out, when I try to acquire the IP Address.
11)The lights flicker once on the Lan Side, only the Power Led is illuminated.
12)Haven't got the contents of this file

Hope this is enough info

Regards

Grzyb
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:51 pm

What you provided reveals little about what was inside your router before you upgraded the firmware. I am surprised that you don't have all that information, because we have tried very hard to impress on people the need to obtain all these details before trying anything. However, I am sure there is still hope. Read these threads on de-bricking routers:
viewtopic.php?t=335
viewtopic.php?t=524
Grzyb

Post by Grzyb » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:08 pm

I bought 2 of the 54108 Routers in May, My Brother has One & I have the Other, I Upgraded his in May without a hitch, mine has been sitting as a spare, So when My Original Router went dead, Out came the spare...Thought I knew what I was doing, obviously not!!!

I tried setting the IP Address Of The PC to 192.168.1.3 & Also to 192.168.100.3 as mentioned in a couple of threads....

Each time I try PCTools all the buttons stay greyed out..If I try it after 1s I get 127.0.0.1 at the bottom, 2 or 3 seconds later I get the IP address's mentioned above, but still no IP address of the Target. 4/5/6/7s etc the same as with 2/3s. I have tried 2 different PC's and I get the same, must have tried PCTools 50 times or more,

I have tried to Telnet in as suggested, but I always get a Port 23 error???

Still open to suggestions??

Grzyb
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:47 pm

Suggestions in this order (I hope that your PC is still set to use a static IP address):
1. Try another version of the pctool
2. Please post a screenshot of the pctool after you have tried to retrieve the IP address.
3. Buy a cheap 4-port switch, and interpose it between the PC and the router. That should keep the port open while the pctool tries to connect
4. Build a serial console cable
acrouter
Regular
Regular

Post by acrouter » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:37 pm

From my experience as long as adam2 boot ftp is working, I have been able to unbrick my modem.

Few hints when my router gets bricked and env wiped-

If telnet etc are down most likely its loaded to the Adam2 Ftp stage and cant load firmware so it stays there.

If the env got wiped the IPA could be some weird IP, so thats why the access would be blocked. In my case it went to (169.254.x.x)
To find the ip configure a static IP in 192.168.1.x for your computer and then run PCtool.
After clicking Retrieve/Assign IP address if the router ip is not on 192.168 etc it wont connect but it'll show you the routers IP under Target address. IP:..
Then put your comp on the same subnet as the router's IP, so you can access the Adam2 Ftp. Then update the IPA in env to 192.168 subnet and change back your comp to 192.168 as well. Then after that either recreate the env or if pctool does it for you that should do it.

In my case pctool is incompatible ( tried plenty of versions ), though it gives me the IP of the modem, then I can create everything manually.

Hope you have a backup of the env or maybe load a copy from the other router.

Once you have pctool up you can also check whether your router is pspboot or not etc by retrieving the default env it creates after wipe, and load the apropriate firmware.

Ps: I found if I disconnect the phone cable and reset to defaults before updating with routertech firmware it all runs fine, if I dont seems to brick it with wiped env everytime. ( good tip for anyone upgrading )