RouterTech Firmware 2.8 Discussion

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:53 pm

I can reproduce it. But why do you think that it is a problem?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
baloo

Post by baloo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:30 pm

It's not a problem, just a bug. The DNS Proxy does not work the way it is supposed to. I just checked the dproxy project, seems to be a known bug there. Using the ISP's DNS server directly seems more reliable until this is fixed. Thanks for confirming my observation.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:46 pm

Would dnsmasq help?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:33 pm

dnsmasq is an active project version 2.46 recently released (Nov 14th). Trouble is it is has different/extra functionality and is much bigger that dproxy-nexgen.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:35 pm

Indeed. I was thinking of an older, smaller version to include as an add-on, rather than as a replacement of dproxy. Version 2.1 compiles to 66kb.
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:02 pm

Those commands that help with really bad connections, they only helped slightly, but honestly they didn't sacrifice enough speed, anything a little more extreme? my dsl is already only like 1100kbps on a good day, so a command that sets throttle to 1500kbps doesn't really do much. I'm thinking more like 768 or even as extreme as limiting speed to 256 max if I have to. one of the only sites on internet i can even load is this one in fact since it's so limited in file size, any other site or stream fails to load and times out since packets drop. I already tried lowering MTU but that makes it much worse, because the packets seem to have a 1/4 chance of going through so making more packets get sent made a big problem bigger, heh. I'm thinking if maybe i slow packets down, not make them smaller it may lose less. Just gotta wait bad internet out until winter is over, then it'll be good again until summer when it gets bad again. (every sept-feb and every june-aug internet doesn't like weather and does it's 12-16 hour down/laggy times daily)
Arceny

Post by Arceny » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:36 pm

I tested PPPoE with "Sharing" option at my second DSL router - D-Link 500T. (RouterTech_3.6.0D_20081123_2.80_AR7RD-1Port_Adam2-4mb-flash_firmware.upgrade.img)

Problem is the same. I think this problem is in all routertech's firmwares :-(
Debian GNU/Linux user :-)
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:52 pm

my dlink hates pppoe, always has. always required a hardware reboot any time connection dropped because the app pppoe process would not restart or ever try to connect again even if being told too, it's as if the process hung any time connection dropped. Sometimes when process hung the whole router webui would hang too and not even be accessible until reboot. I switched to pppoa in probably 2.3 because of these problems and never had problems with firmware ever again besides the tedious upgrade process with new versions. Now if only dealing with ISPs that hold an area monopoly (and not a care in the world about customer service because of it) was a simple fix.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:43 am

Arceny wrote:I think this problem is in all routertech's firmwares
Really! You have tried all routertech firmwares?
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:05 pm

well ISP is working for the moment, They finally found a bad DFlag and on top of that one of the 8 spans were down too. took them 4 years to find those problems though so i question their competency but hopefully things stay good :) They had told me that the Dflag was causing the connection problems when it was acting up and the span was causing the major latency and lag issues when it was acting up because I'd get routed to a diff span with too much load, if that makes sense to you experts out there. :) At least if it happens again I'll know where to send them.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:51 am

Congratulations! :)
Arceny

Post by Arceny » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:19 am

thechief wrote:
Arceny wrote:I think this problem is in all routertech's firmwares
Really! You have tried all routertech firmwares?
This happened with two different rom on two different routers.

mstombs said that you released version, which may be can remove challenge for the 4-port router. I would like to test it. :?

But unfortunately this time LAN420M is far away from me, and I can only check the firmware for single-port D-Link 500T. I just can send the original firmware and working configuration file.
Debian GNU/Linux user :-)
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:01 am

Arceny wrote:This happened with two different rom on two different routers.
And this is "ALL" routertech firmwares?
Arceny wrote:mstombs said that you released version, which may be can remove challenge for the 4-port router. I would like to test it. :?
Perhaps he is talking about a beta of the next release. I doubt that it will solve your problem.
Arceny wrote:I just can send the original firmware and working configuration file.
Yes, that might help.
Alexand83
Novice
Novice

Post by Alexand83 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:48 am

thechief, there is a possibility to increment the number of rules for post forward that now is 20??
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:14 pm

Alexand83 wrote:thechief, there is a possibility to increment the number of rules for post forward that now is 20??
Sorry, but I have no idea. One first has to find out where the limit is defined - perhaps core logic or iptables. Then one has to find out why it was set at that number (there must be a reason).