Locked out sometime after password change

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
rseiler
Regular
Regular

Locked out sometime after password change

Post by rseiler » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:44 am

This is a strange one, but it's real. I've seen it happen with v2.93 and v2.94 at least, but it also happened with various earlier v2.9x builds. Models involved are the Aztech DSL600E and 605EU.

What happens is this: Usually shortly after flashing I'll change the Web interface password (in the cases where I don't, there's never a problem). Sometime after that, but usually AFTER I've already logged into the UI with the new PW (proving that it's good), I'll never be able to log on again and will be forced to reset to defaults. Sometimes it's a day after, sometimes weeks. I can't figure that part out. And it's not a matter of flubbing the PW: I copy and paste the more complicated ones. Plus, there's no way this could happen several times with that kind of mistake. When it doesn't work, I try repeatedly.

At least once, I changed it to one of the Steve Gibson 63-char passwords, but the last time it happened it was much shorter, and just a mix of numbers and letters, nothing weird. So the extreme length of the 63-char PW can't be the issue. I keep Admin as the username.

And just to make this even more perplexing: I have an Aztech DSL600E at another location, and it's never had this problem. In that case, it's always an 11-char password, with one capital letter and one number. It's gone through the same versions of RT.

Has anyone seen this happen before?