Linksys WAG200G and RouterTech Firmware

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Linksys WAG200G and RouterTech Firmware

Post by thechief » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:25 pm

kngtrider wrote:
mstombs wrote:Is the Netcomm GPL sourcecode available anywhere?
Some vendors cant be bothered web hosting source code and will ship it on a disc for postage fee. They are one of them.
How much is this fee?
kngtrider wrote:Their explanation to me at the time for the switch was along of the lines of 'Broadcom is a more expensive chipset' (IE, better)
Interesting notion. The cpus are almost the same, and are binary-compatible with AR7. The other components on the system boards (e.g., ethernet switch, wifi chip) may be thought to be "better" - but I doubt it. Certainly, the performance is not better. However, perhaps some of the capacitors on Broadcom boards are of a better quality than those on el cheapo AR7 boards (particularly with respect to overheating). We are all familiar with overheating capacitors on some AR7 routers. That is the main weakness I can see on these boards.
kngtrider wrote:In fact in my experience its very hard finding new modems with Infineon AR7
Pluscom still produce AR7 routers. And there are all sorts of new devices in the far East.
kngtrider wrote:I got TV working anyway.
-I changed mac addresses
-I made sure the Bridge connection was added to the switch under 'LAN config' (i did try it before but at the time diff mac)
-I waited/be patient
:) Perhaps you might wish to write a brief tutorial on how you got TV working?
kngtrider wrote:-even with what some people might perceive as 'heavy loads' such as IPTV via multicast or p2p/bitorrent at line speeds, CPU usage is very low so far, 98% idle with 2+ days
The modem chip does most of the work. The mips cpu (a risc cpu running between 125mhz and 212mhz) is pretty powerful, but mainly just services the Linux system, and spends the rest of the time twiddling its pins! If you were running things like OpenVPN, Darkstat, etc., the cpu might work harder - but probably not by much. I have even tried running Squid on a smbfs partition, and it had very little impact on cpu usage. In short, the cpu is over-powered for the job given to it. A cpu that runs at half (or even a quarter of) the speed would do just as well.
kngtrider wrote:-with the DSP71A driver, the hardware syncs at 19mbit exactly which is equal to the best I can achieve on my line of any modem I have tested on that line so far. I have several AR7 modems of different versions and this combo of RT firmware and WAG200 hw is the highest sync speed of any AR7 I have tested on my line so far, equal sync speed to the higher spec Broadcom chips.
Same in my experience.
kngtrider wrote:-If i enable any of the advanced options under 'RT configurations' such as SIP proxy or cron/memory the modem would freeze after its finished booting for some reason , the unit can still be pinged but its frozen for most purposes, http and routing
That is strange, and should not happen. It would be helpful to see the entries in the system log and the kernel ring buffer in such a situation. But of course that requires having access to the system. If you have a serial console cable, you would be able to see all that is happening in these cases.
kngtrider wrote:-SSH is enabled on the wan side even though i have Remote SSH and Remote Web disabled.
It is disabled by default. It would only be enabled if you did so manually. By the way, how did you ascertain that it is enabled?
kngtrider wrote:-The LED configuration that has been developed is very practical.
Thanks. It took quite a bit of trial and error (and one or two unexpected system rests) to get it to where it currently is. I am sure it could be improved with more trial and error - but it can be a risky process.
kngtrider wrote:-With my current configuration of two virtual circuits, the homepage of RT doesn't correctly report the WAN IP or the WAN uptime even though these are present in the system
i get
WAN IP Address: ("ISP") ("TV")
WAN Uptime: ("ISP") ("TV")
Can't be helped. The page is simply showing what the core logic reports. What is the output of "showip.sh"? (run from telnet/ssh).
kngtrider wrote:I have spent a lot of time messing with different firmwares and different modems over the years and the time spent getting this going was well worth it in hindsight.
:) We are always looking for ways to improve the firmware - but the platform is not well documented, so any further insights that you have have would be welcome.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
kngtrider
Novice
Novice

Post by kngtrider » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:56 am

wlkn wrote:
thechief wrote:3. Changing your router's firmware from Linksys/Openwag200 to RouterTech is a one-way process. You would thereafter only be able to return to the Linksys/Openwag200 firmware if ALL of the following conditions are satisfied:
  • You have functional JTAG pins on the router, and a functional JTAG cable
  • You have a good Linksys/Openwag200 "wholeimage" firmware (all 4mb of it)
  • You have 20 hours to spare, to flash the "wholeimage" firmware via JTAG
If you are lacking ANY of these, then you are taking a VERY BIG RISK if you proceed. If it all goes wrong (and it can), then do not complain. If you complain, no-one will be listening.
After Routertech, you dont have to JTAG the router, if you want to try OpenWAG200:
on PSPboot prompt: (you should also be able to setenv on telnet/SSH)

setenv mtd5 0x90000000,0x90400000

Download wholeflash.bin to your router's /var directory.

disconnect internet and execute:

dd if=wholeflash.bin of=/dev/mtdblock/5

wait some minutes, when it completes power off/on the router

upgrade to latest version of OpenWAG200/Linksys using WebGUI
Your suggestion redefines MTD5 as a larger partition you are copying the old firmware back into this partition. Based on the original environment settings from linksys/openwag, the 'new' mtd5 your suggesting is equal to the total of mtd2 to mtd4 in the linksys/openwag environment parameters with mtd5 being 0x903a0000 to 903e0000, overwriting the old mtd5

These redefined MTD addresses don't match the backup, will reflashing the firmware redefine the correct values which afaik are supposed to remain static within the same firmware bases?

-------
Editor
NitroWare.net
----------
Editor
NitroWare.net
kngtrider
Novice
Novice

Post by kngtrider » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:44 am

thechief wrote:How much is this fee?
I think it was something like $5? This was some time ago
This vendor only has Broadcom sources on their FTP at the moment as these are their current products

I was under the impression this community was already very familar with the NB5 series since they already had 'reference' firmware
kngtrider wrote:Their explanation to me at the time for the switch was along of the lines of 'Broadcom is a more expensive chipset' (IE, better)
thechief wrote:Interesting notion. The cpus are almost the same, and are binary-compatible with AR7. The other components on the system boards (e.g., ethernet switch, wifi chip) may be thought to be "better" - but I doubt it. Certainly, the performance is not better. However, perhaps some of the capacitors on Broadcom boards are of a better quality than those on el cheapo AR7 boards (particularly with respect to overheating). We are all familiar with overheating capacitors on some AR7 routers. That is the main weakness I can see on these boards.
kngtrider wrote:In fact in my experience its very hard finding new modems with Infineon AR7
Pluscom still produce AR7 routers. And there are all sorts of new devices in the far East.
Perhaps you might wish to write a brief tutorial on how you got TV working?
Yeah I will post an appropiate thread
kngtrider wrote:-even with what some people might perceive as 'heavy loads' such as IPTV via multicast or p2p/bitorrent at line speeds, CPU usage is very low so far, 98% idle with 2+ days
thechief wrote:The modem chip does most of the work. The mips cpu (a risc cpu running between 125mhz and 212mhz) is pretty powerful, but mainly just services the Linux system, and spends the rest of the time twiddling its pins! If you were running things like OpenVPN, Darkstat, etc., the cpu might work harder - but probably not by much. I have even tried running Squid on a smbfs partition, and it had very little impact on cpu usage. In short, the cpu is over-powered for the job given to it. A cpu that runs at half (or even a quarter of) the speed would do just as well.
Chip manufacturers increased their clockspeeds after they went to native adsl2 (out of the box ) they again later did the same when they started to add software features such as USB file/print/samba or DLNA, bandwidth monitoring.

Many 125MHz models were sold before the ADSL2 firmware and drivers was even ready. Even with the same firmware/drivers the newer hardware does sync better but that may due to modem generational improvements rather than overall speed . Im pretty sure i saw very high cpu utilisations on older hardware under normal use when things got busy but that may be down to the software running on it.

Netgear for example did bundle VPN Endpoints in the firmware for a while before discontinuing this feature when they changed platforms. This complemented their SMB/Enterprise VPN lineup so they wanted a consumer unit with VPN so end users who telework could have somehting that was consumer oriented.
kngtrider wrote:-SSH is enabled on the wan side even though i have Remote SSH and Remote Web disabled.
thechief wrote:It is disabled by default. It would only be enabled if you did so manually. By the way, how did you ascertain that it is enabled?
Yes the pages indicate it is off by default

I tested via my WAN IP, via a domain name which resolves to my WAN IP and by asking another person on anther internet connection to try to connect to my connection.

Port 22 and 80 are running on the WAN IP

I never toggled remote ssh or remote web ON either in the Linksys firmware or when I put RT on. I did subsequent to my post toggle it on/off to see if it would turn off and it didnt.

I have restored to defaults once or twice during testing the firmware so far.
kngtrider wrote:-The LED configuration that has been developed is very practical.
thechief wrote:Thanks. It took quite a bit of trial and error (and one or two unexpected system rests) to get it to where it currently is. I am sure it could be improved with more trial and error - but it can be a risky process.
IMO end users dont need flashing PPP/DSL LEDs or even dual colour. On/Off is more than sufficent since these LEDs will signfify if a successful internet connection has been established compared to the old days of dialup where the lights signfied serial port/low level signals.

As long as the ethernet lights flash for their correct ports - good switch support thats all I am concerned about.

If you think you have the same setup working on most hardware, dont touch it. Some users do not even have the modem in an accessibile or visibile location.

IMO client software should provide most of the status functionalilty for convience and ease of use but as many know client software wether its UPNP or a custom program isnt always 100% reliable. Having said that if said programs cant connect to the router the router is probably frozen and the LEDs may not be very useful anyway.

Belkin have taken this concept on board and rationalised their LED setup. There is like one LED on their hardware, anything further is provided by their software which runs in the system tray and has a virtual LED. The 2011 Linksys series has the ethernet lights on the back against each port.
kngtrider wrote:-With my current configuration of two virtual circuits, the homepage of RT doesn't correctly report the WAN IP or the WAN uptime even though these are present in the system
i get
thechief wrote:Can't be helped. The page is simply showing what the core logic reports. What is the output of "showip.sh"? (run from telnet/ssh).
showip.sh, ifconfig, system log and UPNP all report correct IP address.

IIRC with only one circuit, these fields get filled in , I dont remeber if it worked with the he circuit named as 'quickstart' or also if it worked when quickstart was deleted and replaced with someone else as I did.
kngtrider wrote:I have spent a lot of time messing with different firmwares and different modems over the years and the time spent getting this going was well worth it in hindsight.
thechief wrote: :) We are always looking for ways to improve the firmware - but the platform is not well documented, so any further insights that you have have would be welcome.
No Problem. Happy to help out here since this comminity helped me solve a problem too.

This community has been around for a very long time so it is dedicated. What I have noticed with other communities even DDWRT and Tomato is that they are a little embryonic if thats the appropiate term, very small communities with majority of users not having advanced technical skills to aid the very fewdevelopers who run each project and many times the developers take their toys and leave. Other times code is developed as is for specific models simply because the developers are supporting a particular model blind or theres little requests for a particular model. Little requests because the communties members are so relatively small and narrowminded
Yet if one was too search for how many 'blogs' and 'techsites' 'recommend' flashing say DDWRT onto a router they may outnumber of these communities.
There are even a few published books about DDWRT/Linksys routers, yet many of the resources mentioned are now gone or outofdate

DSL products more so than routers are long life products and the firmware is more critical on DSL products both for a feature set, bug fix and performance aspects. Where as routers have a less critical function to play. Garbage goes in and garbage goes out to either the other ethernet ports or the wireless. No Integrated modem to worry about or ATM or anything ISP/WAN related as they are purely Ethernet devices with a simplier PPP client thrown in for ease of use.

Also DSL products are much more likely to have crippled features for various commercial or technical reasons or to even be locked to a particular provider.
Unofruntly North America has the mentalilty that the rest of the world largely desnt share in that they are happy to swap between identical provider supplied hardware simply because the status quo there is any internet equipment or even cellfones are the ISPs responsibily, and a geek uprising has occured of people trying to rollback any crippling or locking..

I am aware of several well known networking manfuacturers who will only add certain features to their modems [that other manufs already have as default] if they get a hardware supply contract with a particular ISP , such as IPTV,SIP, PPP Relay or half bridge.

For some ISP specific variants of hardware/software there literatly is no official support for these units other than the absolute minimal requuired and any support has been community generated by enterprising people such as this community.

I have also had the 'firmware' dicussion with some vendors where we discussed why they abanond older revisions so early when the newer revisions are very similar and the response in most of these instances was 'well when do you do draw the line'. From a technical and commercial standpoint i can understand this well, but since these devices are paperweights without good firmware that justification needs more weight in general.

A well designed and thought out 'black box' firmware or a good motherboard bios shouldnt need major upates over its life. Its the early devices or things not as well thought out to being with or rushed that need cirtical updates. whethere these are delivered is another mater.

WAG200G is one of these devices, and this is infamous with linksys WAG series. They really dont care about the WAG series but they are obliged to make and sell these devices . I get the feeling they really really dont want to make DSL devices if they had the choice and probably none else. I have seen WAG series changelogs were certain things such as timezones added that were out of the box on other brands, and so on.

THe pages on the default WAG200G are another example of this mentality.

----
Editor
NitroWare.net

[Edited by thechief to sort out some orphaned quote/endquote codes]
----------
Editor
NitroWare.net
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:38 pm

kngtrider wrote:
wlkn wrote:
thechief wrote:3. Changing your router's firmware from Linksys/Openwag200 to RouterTech is a one-way process. You would thereafter only be able to return to the Linksys/Openwag200 firmware if ALL of the following conditions are satisfied:
  • You have functional JTAG pins on the router, and a functional JTAG cable
  • You have a good Linksys/Openwag200 "wholeimage" firmware (all 4mb of it)
  • You have 20 hours to spare, to flash the "wholeimage" firmware via JTAG
If you are lacking ANY of these, then you are taking a VERY BIG RISK if you proceed. If it all goes wrong (and it can), then do not complain. If you complain, no-one will be listening.
After Routertech, you dont have to JTAG the router, if you want to try OpenWAG200:
on PSPboot prompt: (you should also be able to setenv on telnet/SSH)

Download wholeflash.bin to your router's /var directory.

disconnect internet and execute:

wait some minutes, when it completes power off/on the router

upgrade to latest version of OpenWAG200/Linksys using WebGUI
Your suggestion redefines MTD5 as a larger partition you are copying the old firmware back into this partition. Based on the original environment settings from linksys/openwag, the 'new' mtd5 your suggesting is equal to the total of mtd2 to mtd4 in the linksys/openwag environment parameters with mtd5 being 0x903a0000 to 903e0000, overwriting the old mtd5

These redefined MTD addresses don't match the backup, will reflashing the firmware redefine the correct values which afaik are supposed to remain static within the same firmware bases?
I believe the original poster withdrew (deleted) the article after I highlighted some potential issues with the process that he described. I thereafter also removed my response, which looked really out of place when what it was responding to was no longer there! Let's just say that, at best, the "dd" command will not work, as the mtd5 partition so created will not be writeable (in any case, a reboot will be required for the system to recognise it). At worst, you will overwrite the bootloader, since the mtd5 so created overlaps with the current mtd2 and mtd3 (the only writeable parts) - and, in that case, if the wholeflash.bin does not start with a bootloader, an almighty brick will follow - requiring JTAG to restore the bootloader. Basically, the described process seems very risky indeed.

Edit: it seems that the original post is still there.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:11 pm

kngtrider wrote:I was under the impression this community was already very familar with the NB5 series since they already had 'reference' firmware
There are many subtle and not-so-subtle differences between the firmwares. Some things are resolved by the use of custom scripts, which we can learn from.
kngtrider wrote:Chip manufacturers increased their clockspeeds after they went to native adsl2 (out of the box ) they again later did the same when they started to add software features such as USB file/print/samba or DLNA, bandwidth monitoring.

Many 125MHz models were sold before the ADSL2 firmware and drivers was even ready. Even with the same firmware/drivers the newer hardware does sync better but that may due to modem generational improvements rather than overall speed . Im pretty sure i saw very high cpu utilisations on older hardware under normal use when things got busy but that may be down to the software running on it.
I guess it depends on what they are running, and whether the software is optimised. But I have tried all sorts of things even on 125mhz, and, apart from the bootup process, hardly anything tasks the cpu. The modem part is improving all the time, and I think this is what is responsible for better DSL performance on more recent hardware.
kngtrider wrote:
thechief wrote:It is disabled by default. It would only be enabled if you did so manually. By the way, how did you ascertain that it is enabled?
Yes the pages indicate it is off by default

I tested via my WAN IP, via a domain name which resolves to my WAN IP and by asking another person on anther internet connection to try to connect to my connection.

Port 22 and 80 are running on the WAN IP

I never toggled remote ssh or remote web ON either in the Linksys firmware or when I put RT on. I did subsequent to my post toggle it on/off to see if it would turn off and it didnt.
That is news to me. Let's just say that I can't reproduce that problem. And it shouldn't happen, unless you are trying to access your WAN IP from inside your network, in which case you will run into the "local nat" problem (i.e., you will only get to the router).
thechief wrote:Thanks. It took quite a bit of trial and error (and one or two unexpected system rests) to get it to where it currently is. I am sure it could be improved with more trial and error - but it can be a risky process.
kngtrider wrote:IMO end users dont need flashing PPP/DSL LEDs or even dual colour. On/Off is more than sufficent since these LEDs will signfify if a successful internet connection has been established compared to the old days of dialup where the lights signfied serial port/low level signals.

As long as the ethernet lights flash for their correct ports - good switch support thats all I am concerned about.

If you think you have the same setup working on most hardware, dont touch it.
The led.wag200g.conf was hand-crafted for the wag200g, and it wasn't easy work, and, I for one am happy with how far we've been able to get it. So, no more changes!
i get
thechief wrote:Can't be helped. The page is simply showing what the core logic reports. What is the output of "showip.sh"? (run from telnet/ssh).
kngtrider wrote:showip.sh, ifconfig, system log and UPNP all report correct IP address.
Most of those don't get their information from the core logic, but via code. Unfortunately, that display on the "home" page has to use the core logic, and, since we don't have the source code for the core logic, little else can be done.
kngtrider wrote:
thechief wrote: :) We are always looking for ways to improve the firmware - but the platform is not well documented, so any further insights that you have have would be welcome.
No Problem. Happy to help out here since this comminity helped me solve a problem too.
Excellent. And I can see the point in a lot of what you say thereafter. Sometimes, it is a labour of love, and we are happy to have been able to continue for so long.
kngtrider
Novice
Novice

Post by kngtrider » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:07 am

I think I solved my WAN access issue, 'Firewall' was unticked under the WAN connection. :oops:

So far so good !
----------
Editor
NitroWare.net
wlkn
Novice
Novice

Post by wlkn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:12 pm

thechief wrote:EDIT by thechief: the procedure outlined here will NOT work. All that will be accomplished is that you would overwrite the bootloader with whatever happens to be in the first 128kb of the wholeflash.bin. This will result in almighty brick that WILL require JTAG. You have been warned!
Wrong. It worked for me.

After setenv, I rebooted, and mtd5 became available as full flash.

After overwriting flash with dd using wholeflash file(4MB), I had my old ADAM2 bootloader and OpenWAG firmware.
wlkn
Novice
Novice

Post by wlkn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:19 pm

kngtrider wrote: These redefined MTD addresses don't match the backup, will reflashing the firmware redefine the correct values which afaik are supposed to remain static within the same firmware bases?

-------
Editor
NitroWare.net
After redefining mtd5 and flashing with wholeflash file, hard restart your router and you will have:
1. Official WAG200G ADAM2 bootloader
2. Correct environment for it
3. OpenWAG firmware
on your router.

MTD addresses don't need to match. They will be changed as a result of reflashing and you will have official ones.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:46 pm

wlkn wrote:
thechief wrote:EDIT by thechief: the procedure outlined here will NOT work. All that will be accomplished is that you would overwrite the bootloader with whatever happens to be in the first 128kb of the wholeflash.bin. This will result in almighty brick that WILL require JTAG. You have been warned!
Wrong. It worked for me.

After setenv, I rebooted, and mtd5 became available as full flash.
So, the procedure, as described, will NOT work. Nowhere does it say that you need to reboot after setting the mtd5 variable, and before running the "dd" command. We already have a brick reported in another thread by someone who tried to follow the prescribed procedure. If you had to reboot before the procedure would work, then it would have been good to have updated the procedure accordingly. At it currently stands, what is described is dangerous, as one person has just seen. In short, there is nothing wrong in what I said in my edit. The procedure that worked for you is a slightly different version of the one that you described - and that little difference ("reboot the router") is absolutely crucial, denoting the difference between a guaranteed brick, and a procedure that might work.
wlkn wrote:After overwriting flash with dd using wholeflash file(4MB), I had my old ADAM2 bootloader and OpenWAG firmware.
I will take your word for it that it works if the router is rebooted between setting mtd5 and running "dd" (I am not about to try it myself - but it would be great to have a reliable procedure for alternating between RouterTech and OpenWAG200). However, my advice remains the same - "do not try this unless you have JTAG - if something goes wrong, you will need JTAG to recover the router".
wlkn
Novice
Novice

Post by wlkn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:51 pm

If you dont restart after setenv, mtd5 won't be available, dd won't write the flash, you won't brick the router.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:55 pm

I think the guy with the brick (referred to above) might disagree with you - but I am not about to test that hypothesis myself.

Edit: My recommendation is: update the procedure and state clearly that the router should be rebooted. That way, if someone gets a brick, at least we will know that there was probably another cause.
wlkn
Novice
Novice

Post by wlkn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:58 pm

BTW, Here is updated procedure:

Code: Select all

1. on PSPboot prompt: (you should also be able to setenv on telnet/SSH)

2. restart the router to apply partition setting

3. Download wholeflash.bin to your router's /var directory.

4. disconnect internet and execute:

5. wait some minutes, when it completes power off/on the router

6. upgrade to latest version of OpenWAG200/Linksys using WebGUI
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:22 pm

This is fine, as it clarifies the procedure. But the original post needs to be updated as well.
wlkn
Novice
Novice

Post by wlkn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:42 pm

Forum did not allow me to edit it because of the time passed. Thats why I couldn't :wink:
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:30 pm

I have updated it.