RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
Post Reply
asmfan
Novice
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 am

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by asmfan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:34 pm

Also noticed that web interface "System Diagnostics" doesn't show the last string: the output ends with

Code: Select all

Connection Check #1 : 1 connection(s)
Connection Check #2 : 1 connection(s)
connection1
while telnet's diagnostics.sh / ver as well?/ shows connection. Is it common or just for me?
Also noticed that "System Diagnostics" frees some memory after been run) like garbage collector
User avatar
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team
Posts: 12066
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: England, the Centre of Africa
Contact:

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by thechief » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:53 am

asmfan wrote:Also noticed that web interface "System Diagnostics" doesn't show the last string: the output ends with

Code: Select all

Connection Check #1 : 1 connection(s)
Connection Check #2 : 1 connection(s)
connection1
while telnet's diagnostics.sh / ver as well?/ shows connection. Is it common or just for me?
It is normal.
asmfan wrote:Also noticed that "System Diagnostics" frees some memory after been run) like garbage collector
I wouldn't pay too much attention to that. There is nothing significant about it.

With regard to your leds, what we have is the best that we can do. If it doesn't work for you, then you can try the "Led" command.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
asmfan
Novice
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 am

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by asmfan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:11 am

thechief wrote: With regard to your leds, what we have is the best that we can do. If it doesn't work for you, then you can try the "Led" command.
It works, but not for Status led which should blink 1s (?) interval in according to router stable state (while router's error - it either should be black or be shining constantly). As said led files are exactly the same and the reason for Status led black is unknown(

Anyway I have stability with RT f/w and smooth steady ATM/DSLAM connection which wasn't with native f/w. Glad and will constantly now update to RT f/w only.

Another Q: no way (and maybe reason?) to provide MTU along with MRU/MSS settings? And why "enforce MRU" is set by default? The reason why PC can't handle router's (TCP/IP) downstream correctly?
asmfan
Novice
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 am

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by asmfan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:40 pm

Using RouterTech_3.6.0D_20110502_2.96_AR7RD-4Ports_Adam2-4mb-flash_firmware.upgrade.img
on DLink DSL-524T wireless

"System" menu has 2 buttons: Save All, Restore Defaults.
No "Restart" Button, but "Reboot router" is a separate menu item - is this the same aliased restart? not cold/warm reboot like?)
User avatar
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team
Posts: 12066
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: England, the Centre of Africa
Contact:

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by thechief » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:03 am

asmfan wrote:Another Q: no way (and maybe reason?) to provide MTU along with MRU/MSS settings?
MRU=MTU
asmfan wrote:And why "enforce MRU" is set by default? The reason why PC can't handle router's (TCP/IP) downstream correctly?
I am afraid I have no idea what you're talking about.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
paaaja
Regular
Regular
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by paaaja » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:56 pm

asmfan wrote:And why "enforce MRU" is set by default? The reason why PC can't handle router's (TCP/IP) downstream correctly?
This value is not about the MRU in your computer. It is the value your router communicates with your assigned DSLAM. The default DSLAM MRU value is mostly 1500, so that's why it is forced to 1400. If the vaue wasn't forced, the communication would operate on MRU=1500, despite your "1400" value setting.
asmfan
Novice
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 am

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by asmfan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:04 pm

paaaja wrote:
asmfan wrote:And why "enforce MRU" is set by default? The reason why PC can't handle router's (TCP/IP) downstream correctly?
This value is not about the MRU in your computer. It is the value your router communicates with your assigned DSLAM. The default DSLAM MRU value is mostly 1500, so that's why it is forced to 1400. If the vaue wasn't forced, the communication would operate on MRU=1500, despite your "1400" value setting.
Err... I don't get your point.
There's a standalone MRU/MTU settings for link layer. "Enforce" is as described for MSS TCP layer.
But how it relates say to Win reg 'HKLM\..\Services\TCP\{...}' MTU settings and SpeedGuide's TCP optimizer. How router negotiates about Enforcing smth. to OS/DSLAM other than MTU/MRU vals. set in router's settings.
paaaja
Regular
Regular
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by paaaja » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:44 pm

asmfan wrote:Err... I don't get your point.
I wanted to say that the "enforced" value is only for the router and DSLAM communication. It has nothing to do with the MRU value set by TCP Optimizer in Windows.

As for the rest of your post, I really don't know what you are talking about. Can you express yourself little more fluently?
asmfan
Novice
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 am

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by asmfan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:38 am

paaaja wrote:
asmfan wrote:Err... I don't get your point.
I wanted to say that the "enforced" value is only for the router and DSLAM communication. It has nothing to do with the MRU value set by TCP Optimizer in Windows.
Can you explain your vision of "enforcement" any why to set it? And then why MRU/MTU values come nearby? Router uses scaled window sizes / discovery with DSLAM communication disregarding MTU/MRU values set if no "enforcement" enabled? You mean this?
I read description of "enforcement" in "Help" of web int. and can't get it how it works on router - link level.
paaaja
Regular
Regular
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by paaaja » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:37 pm

asmfan wrote:Can you explain your vision of "enforcement" any why to set it?
The 1400 value is better because you can display some web pages, which are inacessible with MRU=1500. You have to enforce it because otherwise your DSLAM would connect to the router with the MRU=1500.

And really - this only works on the router <-> internet level, NOT router <-> PC.
asmfan
Novice
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 am

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by asmfan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:47 pm

paaaja wrote:
asmfan wrote:Can you explain your vision of "enforcement" any why to set it?
The 1400 value is better because you can display some web pages, which are inacessible with MRU=1500. You have to enforce it because otherwise your DSLAM would connect to the router with the MRU=1500.

And really - this only works on the router <-> internet level, NOT router <-> PC.
I don't get your point. What 1400 are you talking about? Where you did find it? And how it relates to settings MRU/MTU?
And why do you think "enforce MRU" invalidates those MRU/MTU settings nearby? I think you don't understand smth. or I don't understand "help" and meaning of "enforcing" some unknown values to other unknown values that you consider as 1400 of smth.
paaaja
Regular
Regular
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by paaaja » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:16 pm

[quote=asmfan]And why do you think "enforce MRU" invalidates those MRU/MTU settings nearby?[/quote]

I didn't say that. Simply watch the picture. "Enforce MRU" will ensure that the value in the red box will be applied. Otherwise, it would always be 1500, no matter the settings.
Attachments
tm.jpg
asmfan
Novice
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 am

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by asmfan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:51 pm

paaaja wrote:
asmfan wrote:And why do you think "enforce MRU" invalidates those MRU/MTU settings nearby?
I didn't say that. Simply watch the picture. "Enforce MRU" will ensure that the value in the red box will be applied. Otherwise, it would always be 1500, no matter the settings.
Hmm.. "Help" says nothing about hardcoded 1500 if other MRU set and no force enabled.
Are you sure that only "force MRU" enables manual "MRU" setting/option to work?
And why nowhere said this that disabling "force MRU" automatically invalidates "MRU" settings on router and uses hardcoded 1500 like Ethernet frame disregarding PPP, PPPoE (if any), headers/overhead?

Need developers' comment or/and Help index on that Q. Or (new) FAQ entry.
User avatar
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team
Posts: 12066
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: England, the Centre of Africa
Contact:

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by thechief » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:15 am

I think paaja has answered your question (as far as one can understand what you're saying). If you are not satisfied with the answers, then do your own testing with the setting on and off, and you will see what difference it makes.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
asmfan
Novice
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 am

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by asmfan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:09 am

thechief wrote:I think paaja has answered your question (as far as one can understand what you're saying). If you are not satisfied with the answers, then do your own testing with the setting on and off, and you will see what difference it makes.
I see that ping -f -l and with disabled "enforcement" is restricted to MRU/MTU settings in router. So what about hardcoded 1500 thechief? Able to understand the discussion above?
Post Reply