SWSAPUR-5400/MGB100 - Firmware Its a Brick

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
tollgaterws

SWSAPUR-5400/MGB100 - Firmware Its a Brick

Post by tollgaterws » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:00 am

Safecom's SWSAPUR-5400 or Comet Labs MGB100 or Micronica's..

Firstly please accept my apologies, the device I have is badged MGB100 with no oem name. The vendors I found that use the mgb name is micronica and comet, both of which are as helpful and useful as the brick I now own. Hope you can help.. I am obviously hopeing that these deices are all the same.

Eitherway I have a Brick, I updated the firmware from r004a r004b, downloaded from Comet labs web site. The update was via wired ethernet using the vendors app configure.exe. The bin file appeared to update, the top four lights on the AP started to blink constantly as if it was doing a "factory reset" I left it for several minutes waiting for a reboot, with no luck, I switched the unit off, and the "brick" was born. Oh why Oh why did I upgrade. (If it aint broke dont fix it)..

The only lights that come on are.. Power, and ethernet light when utp cable is plugged in. all others including wireless dead as a dodo.

Have tried..

1. Connecting the unit directly to a PC via ethernet.

2. setting default ip address

3. setting last known address

4. powering up whilst performing a factory reset, (well it might of worked)

4. swearing at it.

5. using as a door stop.

Any ideas,, lookled at Origo Router USB Flash Repair Guide, but cant see how this works for this device. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance..
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:12 am

Welcome to RouterTech.

Think you are stuck with a brick.
Not yet found any way to gain a backdoor to the SWSAPUR ( board marked as MGB100 ) there is a serial console (though does require wires to be soldered direct to the board and a small circuit for connection to PC) But as far as I can tell ( haven't bricked mine so can't be sure ) not even that would be active on a brick, even if it was would still require a working ethernet to upload a good firmware.

If you can 'speak' russian then try http://midge.vlad.org.ua/forum/viewtopic.php?t=267
is the best info I can find on it, although they show output from the serial console I can't see any reference how to connect it,
had already worked out the serial myself but was hoping to find some info on using JTAG ( before trying to add some mods to the firmware and ending up with a brick) which other than removing the flash chip and programming it on a dedicated programmer is the only way to recover it. Even then it can't be connected direct to a PC and would require some software, not really something for the average user.

Will be interesting to see what responce you get from the manufacturers of the SWSAPUR.
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:49 am

how long have you had it? if its under warranty send it back and say its not working :P
peti

MGB100 serial

Post by peti » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:57 am

Hi biro,

I own a Level One WAP-0007 which is also a MGB100. I would like to log in to the device via the serial console. Could you please write how to make that serial connection?

Thanks

[quote="biro"]Welcome to RouterTech.

Think you are stuck with a brick.
Not yet found any way to gain a backdoor to the SWSAPUR ( board marked as MGB100 ) there is a serial console (though does require wires to be soldered direct to the board and a small circuit for connection to PC) But as far as I can tell ( haven't bricked mine so can't be sure ) not even that would be active on a brick, even if it was would still require a working ethernet to upload a good firmware.

If you can 'speak' russian then try http://midge.vlad.org.ua/forum/viewtopic.php?t=267
is the best info I can find on it, although they show output from the serial console I can't see any reference how to connect it,
had already worked out the serial myself but was hoping to find some info on using JTAG ( before trying to add some mods to the firmware and ending up with a brick) which other than removing the flash chip and programming it on a dedicated programmer is the only way to recover it. Even then it can't be connected direct to a PC and would require some software, not really something for the average user.

Will be interesting to see what responce you get from the manufacturers of the SWSAPUR.[/quote]
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:28 pm

For details of the MGB100 connection details see here
viewtopic.php?t=210&postdays=0&postorde ... r&start=15

For the circuit of a suitable cable try here http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddASerialPort
and here
http://www.compsys1.com/workbench/On_to ... apter.html

Will have to solder to the MGB100.
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
tcc1000

Post by tcc1000 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:21 pm

I don't know if you are still monitoring this, but there is some recovery mechanism described part way down on http://www.macsat.com/macsat/component/ ... ic,494.15/ which seems to work for some (but not all) problems. Worth a go as the device really isn't heavy enough to make a good doorstop. :)
schufti

Post by schufti » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:44 pm

Hi,
better have a look this wiki

also hae a look at my FW:
MGB100_400s04

schufti

! not monitoring this board ! contact via PM / macsat board
schufti

Post by schufti » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:06 pm

Hi,

there is new FW with download manager.

For boxes with header of Queen/Queen (Pearl,Amit,Micronica) load this FW to get new GUI also.

others can use this upgrade image but if GUI hasn't download manager, you cannot use new function.

or this and use wget/btcli from commandline.

new features: Kernel 2.4.36, BusyBox 1.10, Samba 3.0.14a, kernel-nfs, mii-tool

watch macsat-forum. for news.... or if links stop working

schufti