Firmware Reliability

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
erador
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Firmware Reliability

Post by erador » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:04 pm

I never had a problem with Billion b213/b300c on my Origo ASR-8100, but when I was running it on my Origo ASR-8400 (mit the 4 port switchy switch) it was fairly flaky and crashed twice a week at least.

I eventually got JMK running on it, after thinking that the firmware hadn't taken because it didn't cause the lights to come on while it was initialising it for the first time after flashing (you know, after the flash process the 30 seconds of doom where you're left waiting forever to see if your flash has actually worked or not hoping beyond hope that the link light will go off, then come on all flashing, while it hopelessly syncs to the exchange using the wrong protocol!) -- anyway i digress, I left it for a while in the 'dead' state, then amazingly it started to sync and i clapped and whooped.

Then I changed the LAN ip etc...which on billion would occasionally cause the router to fall over and require a reflash -- billion really didn't work all that well on the 8400.

Thus JMK == :P, Billion == :evil:
Don't touch that! That light means that the router needs more salt!
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:13 pm

After Billion / JMK flash it can seem dead for up to 3 minutes before it finally springs into life (always happens that way for me)

As for your personal experiences of Billion on the ASR-8400 it's odd. I have had nothing but 100% success with Billion 213 on my ASR-8400. It's solid as a rock, all features work and I've never had any downtime with it that wasn't due to my ISP. Why it works with the ASR-8100 better for you beats me... apart from the extra ports the hardware is identical (literally, component for component).

But then again, you knew all of that :lol:
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
erador
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by erador » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:02 am

indeed.

very odd indeed
Don't touch that! That light means that the router needs more salt!
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:11 pm

I've got my old ASR-8400 in a draw somewhere. The last that I recall it had the Billion 300c firmware on it and it was running fine.
The question I would have is "What is the best firmware for this model?".
I've looked through the tables, seen the features etc but for those who've played with a few of the different firmwares - if I had to chose one, which should it be?
I'm thinking in terms of reliability (in an attempt to keep on topic :lol:), feature set, ease of use etc etc
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan