RouterTech Firmware 2.97 Discussion

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.97 Discussion

Post by thechief » Tue May 29, 2012 11:06 pm

mysticalos wrote:multi mode or anything other then adsl2 has poorer connection stability. This is cause my ISP is dumb and pretty much strict enforce adsl2+ (they think it's magic or something, if you use anything other then that you will literally drop connection at an almost hourly rate, god knows why).
Then I think you might be better off with a router than can use dsp75 (which means "standard" firmwares for RouterTech). Perhaps earlier dsp versions cannot cope too well with the idiosyncracies of your line/ISP dslam.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue May 29, 2012 11:08 pm

ajiteshm wrote:I understand newer drivers provide better stability but what are the benefits of newer NSP version??
Your guess is as good as mine. I don't think I've noticed anything much in terms of practical benefits.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Tue May 29, 2012 11:13 pm

thechief wrote:
mysticalos wrote:multi mode or anything other then adsl2 has poorer connection stability. This is cause my ISP is dumb and pretty much strict enforce adsl2+ (they think it's magic or something, if you use anything other then that you will literally drop connection at an almost hourly rate, god knows why).
Then I think you might be better off with a router than can use dsp75 (which means "standard" firmwares for RouterTech). Perhaps earlier dsp versions cannot cope too well with the idiosyncracies of your line/ISP dslam.
Yes, i suspect this is so as well.

multi mode or anything other then adsl2 has poorer connection stability. This is cause my ISP is dumb and pretty much strict enforce adsl2+ (they think it's magic or something, if you use anything other then that you will literally drop connection at an almost hourly rate, god knows why). Their custom brand/firmware modems in fact ship with factory firmware that forces adsl2 on pretty much all connection speeds, regardless off how senseless it is for a 1.5 or 3m connection.

But that still doesn't explain the software issues. I can't imagine it's a hardware defect when the firmware attempts to reconnect indefinitely when it's already connected for example. Or, it thinks you lost connection if your upload pipe is maxed for 30 or so seconds, i don't have checksync enabled, how is firmware determining I've lost connection and it needs to reconnect? is it pinging someone anyway and determining a false connection lost based on a no ping reponse within a threshold? Or is this just some failure of the 7.1 driver that ultimately i cannot avoid without returning to a 7.5 supporting firmware? I know this is precisly why i disabled checksync cron script in past. because it'd reset connection if my latency was over 500ms for its ping (which will happen while downloading or uploading at max pipe speed).

I'm just trying to determine if it's something I as the user can improve upon via settings or possible environment variables to adjust certain thresholds or behavior, or if I have to just put up with it until (and if) it's ever reproduced in any way a fix can be found).

I know my search still goes for a router that isn't used, obsolete, but does support DSL 7.5 driver and RT firmware. i've gone through 2 604Ts and i get feeling if i got another it wouldn't last long either, the 2nd did not last nearly as long as first, cause it the expiration dates on them aren't getting any newer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue May 29, 2012 11:38 pm

You may be facing a problem with how dsp71 or core logic 3.7.1 (or a mixture of both) interact with your ISP's equipment. checksync pings google (or some user specified url). The modem drivers and core logic determine WAN connectivity in their own ways (who knows what they do?).

If you are feeling brave and adventurous, you can verify the first hypothesis by flashing on your Solwise a pspboot non-wireless 4mb flash firmware (or even the standard wireless firmware). You will lose wireless, but you will be able to verify whether your problem is with dsp71/core logic 3.7.1, or whether it is hardware related. If the new firmware doesn't have the problems you have been describing, then you'll know that you're dealing with a hardware problem.

Once you have your answer, you can restore the 1350A wireless firmware (or not - depending on whether wireless is important to you).

NOTE: before moving between standard and 1350A firmwares, better be sure always to reset the firmware to defaults first (i.e., before trying to flash a new firmware).

As for routers that will run standard firmwares and dsp75, I don't think they're making new ones anymore. But you can have a look at the compatibility list: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4191
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 pm

ah interesting, i was always under the impression i HAD to use the custom firmware for this. but no i apsolutely do not need the wireless, i have a seperate device for that which is far better. So i can use a standard firmware then? will that cuase issues with other things cause i know other parts of firmware are custom tailored too like the QOS stuff. I'm brave enough to do it if it's been done before but if I'd be first I'd rathor not brick it right now :)
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed May 30, 2012 7:20 am

Well, I have done it before (many times). I wouldn't proceed without having a serial console cable (or at least you need to be good at debricking) because sometimes you do get a brick - but that usually happens only if you don't reset to defaults before flashing a new firmware. The config of the core logic 3.7.1. is incompatible with core logic 3.6.0D, and vice versa - so prior resets to defaults are required to avoid a brick (in this case, the core logic giving up when it sees an incompatible config section, and rebooting - hence the saga of the endless reboot loop, which you can see clearly, and can interrupt, if you have a serial console cable).

Yes, the QOS settings are totally different between the different versions of the core logic.
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Things have gotten considerably more stable changing the Keep Alive back to 10. (I always Keep Alive of 0 on 604T). Going to guess that the solwise just has issues with that.
Alpha_Tay
Novice
Novice

Post by Alpha_Tay » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:55 pm

hi, i just tested and confirmed that this command work well for 1350A routers, while turn off and later on wireless from http GUI still has problem.

2. New script: wifi - to start/restart or stop the wireless AP (use with care on 1350A routers; after turning off, you may need to reboot to restart the AP); run with no parameter to see the syntax
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:54 pm

mysticalos wrote:Things have gotten considerably more stable changing the Keep Alive back to 10. (I always Keep Alive of 0 on 604T). Going to guess that the solwise just has issues with that.
Ok, i lied, i just haven't uploaded enough lately. I still can't upload anything > about 2 MB without DCing, the firmware determines there is a timeout and resets connection, even though there was no timeout at all. There is still something clearly wrong with the software/driver. It must VERY frequently ping for connection and kill/reset connection if it doesn't get a response in like .00001 seconds or some obnoxious threshold (cause my latency at most during an upload is 1000-2000ms but none the less it's not droppingp ackets, it still gets replies. I don't know what the 7.1 driver does different then 7.5, or this firmware does vs the dlinks (if it's not a driver problem). But i apsolutely cannot upload, anything, without a connection reset.
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:01 pm

Does the standard non wireless still have 7.5 and rshaper and upnp? those are about only features i care about, i have never used wireless nor ever plan to. But i also know other things are stripped besides wireless from the non wireless firmwares. What other features are stripped?
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:14 am

Yay, it's fixed. I installed standard wireless firmware, switched dsp to 7.5, and all issues are resolved. Hardware is working correctly under this version of firmware and DSL driver, so the issue has to be my ISPs bad middle of no where boonies equipment and 7.1 driver just not being worth a bad dealing with it. As i've said before, 7.5 driver is a godsend in dealing with my bad. Cannot live without it :)

Only side effect (well, minus no functional wireless), the power light is always red, 100% of time, but rest of LEDS are correct. Is the sor605 wireless LED file even loaded on the non 1350 firmware?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:26 pm

mysticalos wrote:What other features are stripped?
Nothing is stripped from the 4mb-flash non-wireless firmwares.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:28 pm

mysticalos wrote:the power light is always red, 100% of time, but rest of LEDS are correct. Is the sor605 wireless LED file even loaded on the non 1350 firmware?
Check "Tools->RT Configurations"
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:34 pm

thechief wrote:
mysticalos wrote:the power light is always red, 100% of time, but rest of LEDS are correct. Is the sor605 wireless LED file even loaded on the non 1350 firmware?
I did, is that list under it the only options available? the boot loader still has the LED config from old firmware set to sar605ew, all the LED lights are working correctly minus the power light just staying red non stop, when normally it's only red for bootup then green when kernel loads. Should i change it to sar600 which is in list on config?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:14 pm

mysticalos wrote:
thechief wrote:
I did, is that list under it the only options available?
In that firmware, yes.
mysticalos wrote:the boot loader still has the LED config from old firmware set to sar605ew, all the LED lights are working correctly minus the power light just staying red non stop, when normally it's only red for bootup then green when kernel loads. Should i change it to sar600 which is in list on config?
You can only do trial and error. sar600 is a good starting point.