Installing extra applications

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
RagingGrim
Novice
Novice

Installing extra applications

Post by RagingGrim » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:32 pm

Firmware version: RouterTech_3.7.1B_1350A_20120130_2.97 20120130232217
Router : Telkom duo plus 300WR

I was just curious how you'd go about this ?

I created a minix and it's being mounted on startup ( the whole /nvram thing in the docs [thanks chief] ) . I can write files to the directory and they are indeed persistent. So i thought that maybe i could install extra applications to this space.

This problem in particular is when using iptables -m string , i get an error which states that 'string' could not be found. I thought I could fix this by updating iptables but forgot that it was installed to a read only filesystem. Just tinkering with the commands ( haven't really used linux much ) I tried to use ftp to get apt-get on the router and use that to install iptables to the minix partition although I tried that and it didn't work ( maybe because I literally only copied apt-get to /nvram ).

I'm going to try to write my only application , ftp it onto the router and run it to see if it works - I believe it will . However , I'm still very confused as how to update or install applications to the router .
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Installing extra applications

Post by mstombs » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:46 pm

You haven't started with a good example, first start with a simple shell script, then a "hello world" type app to prove you have a cross-compiler working setup.

Changes to userspace iptables need an corresponding kernel netfilter modules, basically only possible with firmware recompilation.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:05 pm

RagingGrim wrote:I tried to use ftp to get apt-get on the router and use that to install iptables to the minix partition although I tried that and it didn't work ( maybe because I literally only copied apt-get to /nvram ).
Where did you get this "apt-get" binary from?
RagingGrim wrote:I'm going to try to write my only application , ftp it onto the router and run it to see if it works - I believe it will . However , I'm still very confused as how to update or install applications to the router .
And how do you propose to compile this application?

I think you might be missing something fundamental - you cannot just copy any old linux application to the router. You will need a cross-compiler toolchain that will build apps for the mipsel (AR7) platform. Then you will find that hardly any app that you so cross-compile would fit in the minix partition that you have created. As mstombs said, you are realistically only looking to store shell scripts on the minix partition.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
RagingGrim
Novice
Novice

Post by RagingGrim » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:43 pm

I was missing something fundamental :P

This was a nice revision of how programs are compiled XD
Thanks for all the help , I should be fine from here ^^
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:30 pm

Actually, you can compile small programs, if you code carefully. See this;
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5683
and this;
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5419
and this;
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1602
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.