ADSL2MUE to Router Help Please

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
Radiotech
Regular
Regular

ADSL2MUE to Router Help Please

Post by Radiotech » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:23 pm

Thanks to this forum early this year I flashed this modem with the excellent RouterTech Firmware v2.3, I'm thinking of using a Linksys WRT350N which will give me the 1gb router and wireless capabilities in one hit, the question is I have never used the modem in this way before how difficult is it to configure the modem if possible, looking around do I use something called bridge mode, if so how is the easiest way of achieving this, hope the question is not stupid if so I apologise in advance. Just a footnote I have not purchased the WRT350N yet so if this is a bad router I would appreciate any feedback but generally I do like Linksys equipment.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:36 pm

what connection type do you have? PPPOA or E? If the latter Full bridge mode is easy, if A only you will be into half-bridge, but I'm not sure how many of us are using this at the moment...

Take a look at linksysinfo.org I'm not sure how well liked the WRT350N is - but maybe it will be supported by dd-wrt?
Radiotech
Regular
Regular

Post by Radiotech » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:01 pm

Thanks for the reply I am RFC 1483 bridged, what does that mean for the bridge mode.
The WRT350N appeals to me is for the high speed link for my 2 computers.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:52 am

I'm not up to speed on all the variants - but I'm pretty sure RFC 1483 bridged is a "PPPOE full bridge mode", do you need a username and password and where do you enter them - in the PC/ router or in the modem?

I hope you don't expect 'high speed' via wireless... is the N variant a standard yet?
Radiotech
Regular
Regular

Post by Radiotech » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:28 pm

No username or password needed, the high speed I was only expecting on the hard wired computers with the new type network cards
sandman06
Novice
Novice

Post by sandman06 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:55 pm

the wrt350n is a superb router. a bit expensive but excellent. has a gigabit port and usb port.

its supported by dd-wrt firmware as well...and is highly talked about in there forums.

what you need to do is. set the adsl2mue in "bridge mode"
this is done by setting "new connection" and choosing "bridge mode".
enter your vci settings etc
then go to lan settings and choose your connection and turn dhcp and server relay off. then connect your modem ether port to your wan router port

you then need to do you setting for your wifi/router and choose pppoe setting.
however you need to find out if your isp supports pppoe or pppoa before you do this. otherwise you will have to do a whole different setup and use "half bridge mode"

i think most people lack to do is "read the manual"
if you downloaded the routertech firmware. then you would of have seen a readme html. theres a FAQ there. that is really helpful.

regards

ps:good luck
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:37 am

sandman06 wrote:the wrt350n is a superb router. a bit expensive but excellent. has a gigabit port and usb port.

its supported by dd-wrt firmware as well...and is highly talked about in there forums.
How opinions differ:-

Code: Select all

my 350N is in the bin. it died on me after the last official firmware upgrade and the offered replacement by cisco did not arrive, so i trashed it as the piece of junk it was
http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showp ... stcount=92

I guess his ADSL2MUE is also in the bin!