sharing a dialup internet through modem router

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:39 pm

O.K. that's what I thought :) - I'm pretty sure that your ICS and AP setup is o.k. now - it could be a port forwarding issue or similar with the windows firewall or Pc firewall software - do you run any firewall s/w on the PC ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:46 pm

BTW - on the Internet Connection properties on the ICS Host PC - you have enabled the "allow other users to connect through this computers internet connection" checkbox - haven't you ?

...also which ISP are you using for Dialup access ?
Jim

amir_s_m
Regular
Regular

Post by amir_s_m » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:34 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:BTW - on the Internet Connection properties on the ICS Host PC - you have enabled the "allow other users to connect through this computers internet connection" checkbox - haven't you ?

come on man,do I sound like a dumb :roll: ....
Shotokan101 wrote:...also which ISP are you using for Dialup access ?

aaaa......I don't now what r u after but I don't think that u do have any ideas about isp's in my country....so let just act as u've never write this post. :wink:

I've ZA,but I think settings on ZA r o.k...about port forwarding,I've no idea which ports or protocols are used by ps2.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:39 pm

Hi - didn't know your country - only asked about ISP as some like AOL used to present particular problems when trying multi client access :wink:

Try switching ZA to "Game Mode" - I would normally (on a real router) put the Console IP into the DMZ on the router and use a fixed/static IP for the PS2.

If using ZA is it safe to assume that the windows firewall is switched off an all network Interfaces then ?

Do you get a particular error message from DNAS ?
Jim

amir_s_m
Regular
Regular

Post by amir_s_m » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:16 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:Try switching ZA to "Game Mode" - I would normally (on a real router) put the Console IP into the DMZ on the router and use a fixed/static IP for the PS2.
I'll give it a try later and let u know.but the thing is that we assume that router in not acting as internet server so it must not interfere in port things...I 'm not sure, it's a little bit confusing.I'll buy a cross cable and test ps2<>pc and see what will happen.
If using ZA is it safe to assume that the windows firewall is switched off an all network Interfaces then ?

that's for sure
Do you get a particular error message from DNAS ?
nothing at all ,keeps showing same thing-dnas logo and authentication-I tried 2 different games so far.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:39 pm

Some games require specific TCP/UDP port - hence the norm to DMZ the Consoles since it gets pretty tedious sometimes impossible) to manage different port/proto forwarding for multiple games......

It will be interesting to see how the direct connect works out..... :)
Jim

Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:52 pm

I take it you have tried this PS on a normal Internet connection as it seems many things can cause this error, including dodgy games, cheat systems, non Sony accessories, and even some PS that have to be replaced by Sony as the version won't work no matter what.

If the router is configured correctly it will in no way interfere with data passing through it, as far as it is concerned it is acting as a switch so doesn't need to do anything to the packets.

ICS needs setting up with additional port forwarding, the ports you need to forward will need looking up for each game or you could just forward the lot ;)

If ICS has a DMZ option enable it, but I am not sure if it does.

ICS isn't really the ideal solution, but if you prefer it then carry on.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:03 am

I definitely think that Zonealarm may be the source of the problem as ZA say that the free version (if that's what you're running has problems with ICS and is not fully supported) :-

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/ ... Note_9.jsp
Jim

amir_s_m
Regular
Regular

Post by amir_s_m » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:45 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:I definitely think that Zonealarm may be the source of the problem as ZA say that the free version (if that's what you're running has problems with ICS and is not fully supported) :-

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/ ... Note_9.jsp
I have the full version.
Attachments
port.JPG
(74.12 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:54 pm

Fair enough :) - have you checked yet whether "game mode" or turning off ZA makes any difference ?
Jim

amir_s_m
Regular
Regular

Post by amir_s_m » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:Fair enough :) - have you checked yet whether "game mode" or turning off ZA makes any difference ?
to be honest,configuration on the za was false,so I correct it and now I'm testing it,(thx to u)
amir_s_m
Regular
Regular

Post by amir_s_m » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:57 pm

amir_s_m wrote:
Shotokan101 wrote:Fair enough :) - have you checked yet whether "game mode" or turning off ZA makes any difference ?
to be honest,configuration on the za was false,so I correct it and now I'm testing it,(thx to u)
o.k,looks like ZA is not the case.going for direct connection.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:32 pm

amir_s_m wrote: o.k,looks like ZA is not the case.going for direct connection.
I take that you mean that you've also tested with the PS2 IP address setup in the ZA Trusted Zone as well as the Game Mode and Disabled ZA tests ? :?:
Jim

amir_s_m
Regular
Regular

Post by amir_s_m » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:47 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:
I take that you mean that you've also tested with the PS2 IP address setup in the ZA Trusted Zone as well as the Game Mode and Disabled ZA tests ? :?:
exactly
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:55 pm

amir_s_m wrote:
Shotokan101 wrote:
exactly
Okey Dokey - looking forward to the direct connection feedback then :wink:
Jim