sharing a dialup internet through modem router

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
amir_s_m
Regular
Regular

sharing a dialup internet through modem router

Post by amir_s_m » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:32 pm

hi there.i want to make a network and i have a laptop,an adsl modem router AP(with out dsl connection) and a PS2.i want the router play as a bridge between laptop and PS2 to share a dialup connection.i've only 1 network cable so i want to do this with WI-FI,but i'm not sure about modem routers configuration.
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:44 pm

Allow the router to allocate the PS2 (via cable) and the laptop (via wireless) an IP address, then create a dial-up connection in Windows and then share the dialup connection between users on the network. Not sure if it will actually work like this, but this is the first thing I'd try.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
amir_s_m
Regular
Regular

Post by amir_s_m » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:00 pm

thx but i know that,but i'm not sure about ip configs for pc and configs for router,ps2 obtains ip through dhcp of router.
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:49 am

Is there a default gateway setting anywhere under a "LAN config" page on the router. On my SWAMR running RT firmware it's left blank, presumably so it uses the modem part of the unit by default. I guess it's possible to tell it to use a different IP as a gateway? i.e. static IP applied to the laptop which hosts the shared dial up connection.

Maybe TheChief could clarify?
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
amir_s_m
Regular
Regular

Post by amir_s_m » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:51 pm

Steve wrote:Is there a default gateway setting anywhere under a "LAN config" page on the router. On my SWAMR running RT firmware it's left blank, presumably so it uses the modem part of the unit by default. I guess it's possible to tell it to use a different IP as a gateway? i.e. static IP applied to the laptop which hosts the shared dial up connection.

Maybe TheChief could clarify?
I tried that too,set the default gate way in the lan configuration to 192.168.0.1 that is the static ip of laptop who is set by windows networking wizard.sounds like it doesn't work....
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:19 pm

If you bought another network cable you could use the Router just as a switch (turn off DHCP and set IPs in the PS2 and your laptop manually) and then share the dialup on the laptop. That should work as you are not trying to use an ADSL modem router as a gateway (I don't think this works if the gateway isn't the WAN from the internal modem).
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
amir_s_m
Regular
Regular

Post by amir_s_m » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:15 pm

Kieran wrote:If you bought another network cable you could use the Router just as a switch (turn off DHCP and set IPs in the PS2 and your laptop manually) and then share the dialup on the laptop. That should work as you are not trying to use an ADSL modem router as a gateway (I don't think this works if the gateway isn't the WAN from the internal modem).
If I buy another network cable (crossover one) I could connect devices directly,so thx but this is not the solution i'm seeking for.
Last edited by amir_s_m on Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:08 pm

I think you will need to use a software router or proxy server on the laptop.

XP has a bridge option for network adaptors but last time I tried this it was unreliable but in theory it should work.
amir_s_m
Regular
Regular

Post by amir_s_m » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:36 pm

Techsolver wrote:I think you will need to use a software router or proxy server on the laptop.

XP has a bridge option for network adaptors but last time I tried this it was unreliable but in theory it should work.
you can't bridge dialup connection with wi-fi or lan in xp
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:40 pm

It will have to be a software router or proxy then.
amir_s_m
Regular
Regular

Post by amir_s_m » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:03 pm

Techsolver wrote:It will have to be a software router or proxy then.
the problem is in the router side not in the pc side,so I don't think that there will be a need to such.
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:15 pm

You will need a route from the laptop to the Internet, you need a bridge between these connections, that could be a software bridge, router, or proxy

In the router you could set the DHCP to give the laptop as the gateway but nothing will go anywhere until you sort out the laptop bridge.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:19 am

Have you tried setting up ICS in XP ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
amir_s_m
Regular
Regular

Post by amir_s_m » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:51 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:Have you tried setting up ICS in XP ?
yes,in the very first stage.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:00 pm

I think that when using ICS the PC should be supplying all IP's via DHCP and DHCP should be disabled on the router and it should then function simply as a wireless AP and Ethernet/wireless switch..... :?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....