Talktalk and problem line

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Talktalk and problem line

Post by Steve » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:04 pm

Still doing battle with a talktalk customers line issues. They are now capped at 1.5Mbs "for stability"?

What sort of line speed should they expect with the following stats (obtained by plugging in my SWAMR with RT firmware.)

DS Margin 15
US Margin 15
DS Line Attenuation 37
US Line Attenuation 20

Can't help think that they are either being fobbed off with a poor line speed or there is an intermittent fault somewhere on the line.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
KeithSloan
Regular
Regular

ADSL Linespeed.

Post by KeithSloan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:08 pm

Suggest you look here for some software

http://www.neolics.com/index.php?s=software

I run Router Stats Logger v1.0.18 ( I think the forum has a mention of where you can download v1.0.18 ( v1.0.17 would not run for me - your mileage may vary ). On the Exchange Tab you enter your postcode and calc distance from exchange, then works out degradation of your in house wiring and gives a nice graph of what speed you might get.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:03 am

There's this thread too: viewtopic.php?t=1501 ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Talktalk and problem line

Post by mstombs » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:05 am

Steve wrote:DS Margin 15
This is TalkTalk robust default, the 15 can be lowered to 6 in 3dB steps by TalkTalk second line support as long as there aren't disconnection problems
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:56 pm

The problem is I'm told that there are frequent disconnects. Even when he's capped to 1.5mbs, whereas I get at least 4.5mbs.

Is it time for an engineer and line test?
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Hatx0r
Regular
Regular

Post by Hatx0r » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:54 am

I have this exact same problem with a client. Most TalkTalk installations I've done around here sit pretty at 3000-4000kbps (and as low as 40kbps up!) from attenuations between 55 and 45dB.

Well this guy has a 44dB attenuation line and doesn't get a bit over 2000kbps. Very frequent disconnects, etc. Back on BT he had the same, low attenuation, good SNR, but very low speed.

Second line support has increased his target SNR which hasn't done a drats thing. I'm thinking his line is bad, but not sure whether we should be whining at BT or TalkTalk. Did you get resolution? How and who?
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Would have replied a few seconds ago...but my Talktalk line dropped - honestly!! LOL At least it reconnected at 446/5001kbs (looking out of the window for black helicopters?)

Anyway, his line is still awful and he's been asked to do the usual things:-

Call three people and listen for crackles on the line. (there are crackles)
Change out your microfilters. (I've done this and even tried using my router etc)
Plug your router directly into the master socket. (I would but he can't be bothered?)

Apart from the last one, these have been done. He can't be bothered doing the last one so I've left it up to him to sort out???

Apparently, they have said there will be some huge fee if they send an engineer out and it turns out to be the internal wiring. They had previously capped his line at various speeds which until you call and complain, you just get a limitted service - not just the 512kbs default, but also at 2Mbs.

If he gets anywhere with this, I'll post the results.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk