Problem with internal network on web server

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
minckle

Problem with internal network on web server

Post by minckle » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:33 am

ok, I've got quite a complicated problem to explain but hopefully there'll be an easy solution.

I've a vista pc which Im setting up as a web server and email server. It connects to the internet via a netgear wireless point connecting to a bt voyager v220 adsl router.

Externally if i go to www.domainname.co.uk i get the live website being hosted by the vista pc (therefore I know the porting forwarding is working)
but when on the vista pc if i go to the same website i get the admin panel for the bt voyager router

Can anyone explain whats going on and how to fix it??

also, externally i can connect to the mail server using outlook, but internally i just get errors

Any help or advice wil be welcomed !!
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:12 pm

The function in the router that you are looking for is "WAN IP local NAT loopback". This is not standard in many routers, in others such as Linksys it is on by default and you can block it by setting an obscure flag to "Filter Internet NAT redirection". Tomato firmware has recently added a "forwarded only" option to Nat Loopback to overcome some issues a global redirection causes

We have an experimental script to enable this "forwarded only" mode in Routertech 2.5 (works for me in testing).

An easy workaround for you is to use the hosts file on your PC giving the external hostname to the internal IP of your server. Then your PC will not try to look up the name and target the router which 'owns' the external IP.
rmillwood

Post by rmillwood » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:10 pm

mstombs wrote:We have an experimental script to enable this "forwarded only" mode in Routertech 2.5 (works for me in testing).
Thanks for the explanation:
  • 1. Is this script available?
    2. Will it work in Routertech 2.3?
rmillwood

Post by rmillwood » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:17 pm

rmillwood wrote:
  • 1. Is this script available?
    2. Will it work in Routertech 2.3?
Doh! ':oops:'

Answers:
1. It is in the 2.5 release (19 in the Changelog)
2. See 1 above :roll:
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:39 pm

The script that does the local nat actions used to work under RT2.3, but it was augmented and included in RT2.5 making use of the new "ip-up" script triggering facility. Without this you would have to manually run the script every time the WAN IP changes. NB you still have to run the script manually if you make changes to the web screen port forwards - and I'm not sure anyone has yet reported back that the function is any use to them....