Speed problem

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
rincal
Novice
Novice

Speed problem

Post by rincal » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:35 pm

i'm using an smc router which seemed to work perfectly until about a month ago. at first the speed dropped from 2mbit which the normal speed of service down to 128kbps then went back up again, then finally just stayed at 128kbps. replaced router and still same.
i have two broadband lines coming into my house (one 8mbit is mainly for my sons use which is working perfectly) so i tried the same router on that line and getting normal speed 3.7mbit due to distance from exchange.
called my isp which is the same for both lines who tell me that bt say there is no fault on line but have asked me to disconnect router for bt to carry out further tests overnight. presently have router disconnected and awaiting for reply from ISP.
i was just wondering if any here has any ideas as to what problem might be.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:46 pm

Do you have any router modem signal and attenuation figures ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
rincal
Novice
Novice

Post by rincal » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:25 am

hi jim,

at present no. but when the router was connected the downstream attenuation on 128kbps was about 50ish which is what i get at 3.7mbit on my other line.
the only other thing i remember from same figures is that there was a lot of crc errors from far end indicator - whatever that might mean.
at present i'm still waiting to hear from isp before connecting router to that line again.
when i hear back from them, i'll post with there findings.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:08 am

Thanks - sounds like a line or exchange equipment problem.

Let us know how you get on.
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
rincal
Novice
Novice

Post by rincal » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:06 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:Let us know how you get on.
here goes: this is a weird one. my isp sent a bt engineer out who said he found a problem at the exchange which he rectified after a while, this involved changing the connections at the exchange or something.

my smc router still had the same speed problem and when i pointed this out the bt engineer said that as long as he got it going at the 2mbit speed with his voyager modem then his job was done, which i could not really argue with. so i thougt, must be the router, got another smc router from my other broadband line and exact same thing (both routers work fine on other line).

for certain reasons i have other old routers floating about (all of which work fine on my other line), safecoms and origis would'nt even sync. i contacted my isp who sent me a netgear dg834gt which works fine. when i said to the isp that the other smc routers worked on the line previously and work perfectly ok on the other line, they tried cutting and pasting the exact settings from my other line to the defective line but same problem, they then said that they can't get bt to do any more about it.

i'm no expert on this but it seems to me that the line is selective about what routers it allows to work on it. now i'm even more confused.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:16 pm

Some router chipsets will perform better than others on a dodgy line: pages.php?page=44
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
rincal
Novice
Novice

Post by rincal » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:19 pm

Neo wrote:Some router chipsets will perform better than others on a dodgy line
think you're spot on, it's definatley a chipset thing - just annoying that this was created as opposed always an issue.