Assign hosts to VLAN based on MAC address

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
Censored

Assign hosts to VLAN based on MAC address

Post by Censored » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:47 pm

Hello all,

First post :)
I have a little practical problem. Lemme briefly explain my current setup:

Code: Select all

Managed Switch
    --------------
VLAN10                           VLAN20 (WAN - Cable)
    |                                  |
    | - Router ----------------------- |
    | - Other machines
So, other machines access internet via the router, which is in the 2 vlans.

Now I have 2 machines running on one port, and one of them NEEDS to access the WAN directly (I have several public, dynamic ips). Running a second cable is not possible, buying a second managed switch to trunk them either. The machines also both don't support VLAN trunking.
I'm pretty sure my (TP-Link TL-SG3109) switch doesn't support vlan assignment by mac address.

Solutions I came up with:
- If that would exist, a small repeater or the like that injects vlan tags would be my salvation, however, afaik it doesn't.
- I thought of the following solution, which in theory should work:

I have a server running several VMs. I thought, let's create a Third VLAN, create a new VM, give it 3 vnics (one in each vlan), and put those 2 machines in VLAN30. That way, they can only see this bridging machine, so if I could get this vm to forward frames to a specific nic based on the source mac (NOT ip as they need to be dynamic!), my problem would also be solved.
Now, I haven't been able to get this setup running. So, if anyone could help me get this setup running (I have been experimenting with ebtables), or if anyone could come up with another solution, comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Fréderic