DSP various version specification, requirement, feature?

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
Finite

DSP various version specification, requirement, feature?

Post by Finite » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:57 am

Hello, I'm Looking for infomation related to DSP. I try google and yahoo...no luck. Any of you can fill me in about DSP?
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: DSP various version specification, requirement, feature?

Post by mstombs » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:24 am

There is general information available fro the Ti website, not sure I have never seen anything useful on the Infineon one, it appears such information is confidential and only released to the modem manufacturers. There have been a few leaked documents with a bit more info, but nothing new for several years, have a search for "ar7_dsp72_feature_control", for example.
Finite

Post by Finite » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:19 am

what so special about the DSP? Need to keep all the info private? anyways thank mstombs for helping. although no much info can be found in the document but better then nothing :D
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:16 am

Finite wrote:what so special about the DSP? Need to keep all the info private?
Very good question! For my part, I think they are missing a trick here, by not releasing the source code to all their drivers. After all, if we fix or improve the code so that the platform is better supported, they are only going to sell more hardware as a result. It seems that such plain logic is very often lost on some companies. :roll:
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:32 pm

I'm sure Ti/Infineon do give THEIR customers the detailed docs/release notes under an NDA. Their customers are the big router manufacturers Aztech, Linksys, Netgear, D-Link etc, whose only interest in firmware is providing bug fixes under warranty period - they would much rather new features were just built into new routers!

The dsp driver is a binary for the embedded dsp that does the adsl filtering/decoding, the atm driver is a Linux kernel module the source for this is needed for the likes of OpenWRT to build it into a recent Linux kernel - they have ATM 7.03 source-code.