I have a router (SART2-4115 still, with rtfw v2.93) and several computers that connect to this router to access the Internet. So far, so good, as has been the case for quite some time.
Recently, however, web browsing seems to have slowed down to a snail's pace on my laptop. Other PCs are unaffected.
I created a small application to repeatedly test browsing speeds and in most cases browsing starts OK (which confirms DNS resolution is working) but the rarely finish downloading (they time out).
This is my list of possible causes (in no particular order):
- Website specific – NO
- Browser issues (browser specific) – NO
- DNS resolution – NO
- IP Throttling via router – NO
- LAN port on router – NO
- Apps hogging bandwidth - NO
- Other PCs hogging bandwidth - NO
- MTU – Don’t think so, have tried various values
- TCP Receive window – NO
- Odd services – don’t think so.
- Odd apps – no evidence so far.
- Windows Updates
- NIC adaptor settings - NO
- Faulty NIC Adaptor – NO, tried a USB-Ethernet adaptor
- Firewall – NO
- NIC driver - NO
I'm getting to the stage where I feel a reinstall of Windows is on the books (if it's Windows Update related it could take a long time to find out which one)