Constantly Drop Connections

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
xede

Constantly Drop Connections

Post by xede » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:14 am

A DLink 4300 Gaming Router here that I had for couple of years. Just this week, I began to have problems. Internet connections suddenly drops for all computers (wired/wireless). I still have LAN connection. When logged as Admin on router, it shows it is still connected to the modem and to the ISP with an IP address, Primary and Secondary DSN, etc. I cannot ping to anywhere. When I use cmd prompt and conduct IPConfig, it doesn't show the Connection Specific DNS Suffix (but I know I'm connected to DNS on distant end). When I try to release/renew, it says media not connected. Here is what i have done so far:

1. Check ISP, no service interruptions
2. Changed to a brand new modem
3. Checked cables
4. Checked for viruses and such.
5. When using "repair" feature on Win 7, it says something about Problem with DNS not responding properly.

The weird thing is when this happens, I connect modem directly to a computer and it works fine. I have to reboot router, make a direct modem connection to my computer, then reconnect modem to router for it to work again.

Anyone have an idea what's going on? Is it time for me to get a new router?
PJ36
Novice
Novice

Re: Constantly Drop Connections

Post by PJ36 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:13 pm

No u do not need a new router or that it sounds as if your ISP is having an DNS server issue, if you find website are loading very slowing it is because it need to get info from an DNS (Domain Name Server) to carry out what ti need to do.

Changing from your ISP DNS to an Openpublic DNS might be useful fro the moment and get in touch with your ISP to see if they are having an DNS issue.

I has to switch from my ISP DNS to OpenDNS and I use Google DNS and there IP is
8.8.8.8 or alternate IP is 8.8.4.4

Full instruction on changing your DNS is here @ http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

hopes this helps.
Cheers, PJ.