A simple question about what is the best router.

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
PJ36
Novice
Novice

A simple question about what is the best router.

Post by PJ36 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Hey all,

Just a quick simple question really, but for the love of my life, can't remember where or how I knew that DG834 Netgear ADSL router was THE best few years ago.

My question is this, is it STILL the best wireless ADSL router now or has another router come out and is considered to be the best?

Is Netgear still the best make around or has Belkin taken over or D-Link? Reason for asking I am now undecided on what wireless router to get to replace my wired Guru 4 port router (Safecom Gart-4115). I am drawn to both DG834G (notices it now v5) and Netgear DGN1000 ADSL Wireless-N150 Modem Router.

before anyone post asking me what ISP or what I am planning to do etc, below is a basic outline of what is what:-

ISP: Talktalk
Wireless device: Laptop (for use in lounge and bedroom) and possibly HP Printer (but currently undecided as it has USB as well as wireless device), main use of laptop is emails and web browsing.
Wired device: 1 PC, main use fro PC is gaming, web browsing, downloads of movie and mp3.

Distance: To bedroom is approx 10 metres, with 1 solid (loading bearing) wall and 1 long interior hallow walls. Lounge radius of 4 metres max.

I am able to manually configure router if quick installation is unable to determine my ISP as well as finding out the modulating and demodulating protocols.

So any advice or recommendation is greatly appreciated

Thanks, PJ.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: A simple question about what is the best router.

Post by thechief » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:11 am

I don't think any router can claim to be the best. It all depends on what you want to do with it, and how much money you have. It seems to me that your requirements are basic, so any el cheapo AR7 router should do.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
PJ36
Novice
Novice

Re: A simple question about what is the best router.

Post by PJ36 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:18 pm

OK thanks for that well today I went and brought myself a bargain Netgear Wireless-N 150 Modem Router (DGN1000) for less than 40 quid.

So will get it setup soon after I've made notes of my ADSL modulating codes (I know it's G.DmT something) and let you know what it's like.

Cheers, PJ.