multi PVC on modem and router configuration

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
ectod

multi PVC on modem and router configuration

Post by ectod » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:15 am

Hello everyone,
I want to understand the following, maybe you can help me out.

My ISP has a network which uses ATM, on top of an ADSL physical layer. I have a modem which supports ADSL and multiple PVCs.
My ISP gives me TV and Phone in the 8/35 VC with LLC Encap, and Internet data in the 8/36 VC with VC-Mux.

What i want to do is to have access to the data coming from these different PVCs on a router, behind this modem, because i want to have TV and Phone.

The thing is that i don't know how to do that. And i'm even more confused about it if the modem and the router are separated devices. I'm guessing the modem will have to tag the packets coming from the different VCs with some vlan tag so the router will know "what's what"... But i don't know really, i'm just assuming...

So my questions are :
- How the modem can communicate to the router what comes from the 8/35 and what comes from the 8/36 ?
- How can I work on this trafic on the router that's behind the modem ?

On top of that, i'm having a hard time trying to put the modem in bridge mode ( it's actually a modem/router ) and make my computer act as the router behind this modem, and thus have the public ip on my computer directly. My ISP uses "Static IP" to give the customers an ip, and i think that's what makes it hard for me to understand ( it's not as simple as making a PPP connection ). Seems to be a big DHCP server involved.

I've spent a lot of time trying to understand these things, so a little help would be really nice :lol: .
Thanks for your help !
hiteck
Regular
Regular

Re: multi PVC on modem and router configuration

Post by hiteck » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:55 am

What type/make/model of modem and routers are you trying to use ?
Does either have Routertech firmware in it ?
Any fool can make things complicated. It takes a genius to make things simple. - Einstein Jobs
ectod

Re: multi PVC on modem and router configuration

Post by ectod » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:48 am

my modem is a tp-link td-w8961nd, and the router is a debian box. Neither of them has routertech software on it.
I'm just trying to understand how it works before implementing it, it can help a great deal :wink: .