brand new router on the blink

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
Korvis

brand new router on the blink

Post by Korvis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:04 am

hi guys, im new here, and this is my first topic, so i would like to say hi, first of all, and give an advance thank you.

So, I am a computer guy. I have never had formal training, at least not yet, but if somebody i know has a computer problem, they come to me, and if i do not know how to fix it, I figure out how to fix it. wireless networking, however, remains somewhat of an enigma to me. I have tried over the years to learn as much as a i can about it, but beyond setting up a wireless network with some level of security... I am pretty much lost.

my ongoing problem is that i buy a new router because the interwebs is goes in and out. It is great and dandy for a few months, and then its back on the fritz again. we are talking about 4 different homes, like, 7 or 8 different routers of varying brand and quality, and 3 different ISPs (not that that is very relevant here i suppose). i have had belkin, netgear, linksys... but it is the same all around. a few months of solid connection, and then, and i should actually clarify, it gets to a point where its perfectly fine, then several hours later, it acts like the internet has slowed to a crawl. I get .5 or less mbps download and a fraction upload, then several hours later, it is back to being great again. often times a hard reset will make everything great again for a few hours. it seems once it gets to this point not even a factory reset will heal the problem. surely all routers are not just pieces of bad that last for two months...

I gave that back story because it seems to happen over and over and over... but my current case, while it is exactly the same, should probably actually be looked at on an individual basis. this is a 100$ netgear WNDR3700v2. we got it because the last router started the same stuff. worked for a few months, and then started slowing and healing, slowing and healing, on and on. I have updated the firmware on it, but it did not help.

Is there anything I am missing? some sort of router maintenance or something? my isp suggested that i use the setup disk that the router came with to optimize the network, which i tried, but it did not help.

one note, when i talk about the network, I am talking about wireless networking always. if my house was made of one room, wired would be fine, but it is not, and it is not.

maybe this is just the pitfall of wireless networking? I dont know how that could be, seeing as how it works fine for several months before screwing up... but i may be seeing magical ponies, i dont know.

at any rate, i would appreciate any constructive comments at all. Thank you very much for reading.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: brand new router on the blink

Post by thechief » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:04 am

All this points in one direction - configuration or hardware error (by "hardware" I am referring not to the routers, but to your wireless clients). There is no reason why any of this should be happening. Check how you configure your router, and how you configure your wireless clients.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.