Setting up 2 Routers on one Network

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
mpl34

Setting up 2 Routers on one Network

Post by mpl34 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:37 am

Hi,

The quick back story... I am unable to get access to the wireless router in my room in our shared flat as one of the walls in my room is made of brick. Instead of buying a wireless repeater and mounting it in the hallway I was hoping for a slightly cheaper option...

The router is connected through the phone line in the living room, I however also have a phone line in my bedroom. I really just want the wireless in my room to be available when I need to skype etc (not 24-7) I was wondering whether it was possible to run an ethernet cable to my laptop in my room and set up my laptop as its own router (for my room only) whilst keeping the main router in the living room functioning for the other flatmates. That way when I am in my room and want to use the internet I can turn on my computer connect my phone via my computers wireless and skype all I want without having to sit in the hallway or in the living room annoying the flatties whilst they watch TV.

We have broadband, not sure of the routers spec etc, but can get all of these and post them when home later tonight.

I am asking the question as my flatmate told me this would not be possible.

Thanks,
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Setting up 2 Routers on one Network

Post by thechief » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:07 pm

It is theoretically possible to share the internet connection of a Windows PC via Windows ICS (assuming it is a Windows laptop). How easy it is to achieve (and whether doing it via wireless is a feasible proposition) is a different matter. Search for "Windows ICS" on Google.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mpl34

Post by mpl34 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:14 am

Thanks, I have set up the laptop as a hotspot before (through ICS and sorry yes it is a windows laptop).

I guess my question more accurately is whether it is possible to set up my laptop as a hotspot in parallel to the router through 2 network connections in the house on the same broadband account?

I will try setting up the computer as a hotspot this weekend, just unsure what troubles I may run in to (i.e. conflicting IP's) or if I am just gonna cause more drama than it is worth. Any will give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks heaps, your response is much appreciated.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:46 am

mpl34 wrote:I guess my question more accurately is whether it is possible to set up my laptop as a hotspot in parallel to the router through 2 network connections in the house on the same broadband account?.
Theoretically, yes - however, the laptop cannot be dishing out IP addresses via DHCP. This has to come from the router. With two routers, this is a straightforward matter. With a Windows laptop, your guess is as good as mine!
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.