Needing a new router ! requesting help.

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
WazabiQc

Needing a new router ! requesting help.

Post by WazabiQc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:00 am

Hey guys, I currently have a d-link dir-615, which I think isn't enough anymore at my home, I want something more powerful. Most of the time, my router has 2 Cellphone , one ipad and one laptop on the wireless, and i have an xbox 360 and a desktop computer wired in,sometime it's even more, and I experience some lag while playing. What would you guys recommend to support all those connections considering my internet service can go up to 10 MBIT/S ? I don't have a price restriction, but of course, the less is always better.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Needing a new router ! requesting help.

Post by thechief » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:30 am

I doubt that the router is your problem. The router can handle 10mb/s very easily. The weak link is likely to be your connection speed. There is no point having a wireless n router (except for fast local networking) if your internet connection is just 10mb/s.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
WazabiQc

Post by WazabiQc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:43 pm

well then is it possible that my router just cannot handle as many devices as we are trying to use with it ? it often just stop working, then i have to reset it. and i can notice a bit more lag when a lot of people are connected on it. i'd like something that wouldn't do that
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:29 pm

With many users on a slow internet connection you need the router to dod some form of traffic control or QOS. If this is not available in factory firmware there may be an option of dd-wrt that would work, but watc out many hardware versions and firmware options to chose from!
a_big_friend
Novice
Novice

Post by a_big_friend » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:23 am

If you have a Dlink DIR-615 with hardware revision Dx a great firmware to use is a Russian open source firmware Wive-ng-rtnl (Url http://wive-ng.sourceforge.net/?WR-NL_RT3050%282%29). One of the earlier version of this firmware is in use in the Acorp routers.
I've used this firmware on a DIR-615 D1 and on a DIR-615 D3 and it is way better and more performing than original Dlink firmware and even than DD-WRT that is poorly optimized for this router HW.