Larger file downloads slowing up everything else

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
highstream

Larger file downloads slowing up everything else

Post by highstream » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:26 pm

I did a clean resintall of Win 8.1 Pro x64 last week on my desktop PC and one thing I forgot to check before starting had to do with adjustments I had made some months back that in effect regulated download speeds. At the time, after a Charter system uprade and some fixes by their CSR, my larger file downloads with Internet Download Manager jumped from ~3.6 mb/s max to 8.6 mb/s. The downside was that those faster ones were slowing everything else needing internet connectivity, and some not, to a crawl. Someone on a forum I can't find now, who knew about this, had a fix that brought everything back down to the 3.6 mb/s level and solved the problem. I'm forgetting if it was a network settings adjustment within Windows or, more likely from vague recollection, an adjustment to the router settings (TP-Link Archer C8), as my cable modem line goes through it. I just ran a "ping 192.168.0.1" on the TCP/IPv4 connection and it looks good, which I assume means my PC is in the managed range. Anyone know what the adjustment(s) I'm looking for might be? Thanks,

Computer: Gigabyte GA-Z97-UD5H-BK, i5-4690K (not overclocked), 16 gb RAM
Charter's test shows ~65 mbs down and ~4.3 mbs up; testmy.net shows 27 and 4.1.