Newbie... Adding additional routers

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
davidmann8

Newbie... Adding additional routers

Post by davidmann8 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:25 am

Hi.
I'm sure this is basic stuff and covered already somewhere in this forum, so please humour me for a little while.

At last fibre optic is available to me so I want to extend my network to my summer house.

I'm on ee and have 2 x brightbox 2 routers and a basic brightbox router. I also have 2x comtrends power line adaptors 9020 from memory, black ones that bt used to give out.

Firstly are these suitable routers to extend the network. I've read that some are locked somehow. and can I use all 3 with an extra powerline adaptor.

Many thanks
davidmann8

Re: Newbie... Adding additional routers

Post by davidmann8 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:17 pm

I could "daisy chain" the additional routers.

Does that work aswell as, or worse than power point adaptors?
davidmann8

Post by davidmann8 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:18 pm

...by that i mean with very long ethernet cables
davidmann8

Post by davidmann8 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:51 pm

No takers...?

Im assuming my question is too simple.

Could someone please humour me for a minute.

I have two outside buildings that i want my wifi properly extended to. Ive just got fibre optic as its now available to me.

I also have 3 new routers.

Im willing to buy some new powerline adaptors as ive guessed my old ones would be slow.

Is this the best way to make use of the additional routers?

If someone could help, that would be great.

thankyou
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:38 pm

Perhaps because no-one is familiar with the specific devices that you are referring to? Apart from that, just mentioning two outbuildings with no details as to distance, positioning, closeness to neighbours, etc., hardly gives any clue as to the exact circumstances within which you are operating.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
davidmann8

Post by davidmann8 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:17 am

Thankyou....
I'm in a semi detached house.
The first building starts on the corner of my house and is 6m long.
The other is a summer house at the end of my garden 26m away from the rear of the house.

I can actually just very a signal there but not strong
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:00 pm

Options:
1. Connect the routers to the main router/modem wirelessly, and use the new routers like wireless range extenders - this may require something similar to WDS, or the routers may support that feature (e.g., if they support access point modes of operation). The prospects for this solution depend on the strengths of the wireless transmitters in all the devices (i.e., their range). You would also need very strong WPA2 passwords.

2. Connect the routers to the main router/modem via ethernet cables. This would require very long ethernet cables, which you would probably need to shield against the weather. The prospects for this solution depend on whether such cables (shielded or not) are available and at a reasonable price.

* The main router/modem would be the DHCP server. The other routers would have DHCP turned off, and you would need to assign static IP addresses to them.

3. Use powerline adaptors. The prospects for this solution depend on how your electrics are set up. Can't say much about this, because I have no experience with it.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
davidmann8

Post by davidmann8 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:02 pm

thankyou for helping...
so if i go down the ethernet cable route (because im assuming this is technically easier, im no computer wizard) are these daisy changed, simply connecting one to the other? House to garage, garage to summer house?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:11 pm

davidmann8 wrote:thankyou for helping...
so if i go down the ethernet cable route (because im assuming this is technically easier, im no computer wizard) are these daisy changed, simply connecting one to the other? House to garage, garage to summer house?
That may work - I've never tried anything like that. The least complicated to set up would be house to garage, and house to summer house (the two "out house" routers would have exactly the same settings, although they each need to be allocated a unique static IP address). So you could test all this inside the house, by connecting both routers to the main router/modem with standard ethernet cables, and testing all the settings.

Once everything is working correctly, then you need to source the long ethernet cables. To be honest with you, without adequate shielding, I have no idea how the ethernet cables would survive the elements (rain, snow, sun, the lawn mower, kids, dogs, cats, rodents, ants, etc). I think you would need very high quality cables - which won't be cheap.
davidmann8

Post by davidmann8 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:52 pm

I have sourced some good value cables and they will be run through conduit, eliminating the majority of the concerns mentioned. would this be a problem next to electrical cables? would it cause interference?

So from what read router 1 in the house stays as is.
the main router and the 2nd would be connected LAN to LAN. (then maybe a 3rd the same way from the 2nd to the 3rd router).
I ask as i also have WAN, and on 2 of my routers one marked GigE

then on the logins routers 2 and 3 both have dhcp disabled and the ip address changed to 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 respectively.

ive read about disabling NAT aswell?

are there any other settings that need tweaking or are some of my assumptions above wrong?
thankyou again for your time
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:16 pm

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand your set up. Perhaps a diagram showing how many devices you have, and what their role is, would be handy.