Adding a second identical router

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
davidmann8

Adding a second identical router

Post by davidmann8 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:52 pm

Hi I want to cascade a second ee brightbox 2 router to my summer house. I can get a ethernet cable there from a power point adapter but hit problems when trying to change the settings on my second router. If I connect the slave router to my laptop with a ethernet cable and then go to ee's ip address to make changes, this takes me to the settings for my master router. And if I disable the WiFi then I can't connect to anything. What am I missing? Any help is much apreciated.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Adding a second identical router

Post by thechief » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:58 am

davidmann8 wrote:Hi I want to cascade a second ee brightbox 2 router to my summer house. I can get a ethernet cable there from a power point adapter but hit problems when trying to change the settings on my second router. If I connect the slave router to my laptop with a ethernet cable and then go to ee's ip address to make changes, this takes me to the settings for my master router. And if I disable the WiFi then I can't connect to anything. What am I missing? Any help is much apreciated.
1. Disconnect the second router from the first
2. Connect your laptop directly to the second router with an ethernet cable
3. Go to the settings and give it a static IP address that is different from the IP address of the main router - e.g., if the main router is at 192.168.0.1, give the second one a static IP address of 192.168.0.250
4. Restore the configuration that you had before.

From now, you will be able to access the settings pages of the second router by going to 192.168.0.250
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.