Repurposed router for No-IP DNS Updater

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
Fozzie Bear
Novice
Novice

Repurposed router for No-IP DNS Updater

Post by Fozzie Bear » Wed May 31, 2017 7:29 pm

Our local Village Hall has just activated a 50mb synchronous FTTP connection :D to replace our woefully inadequate 1Mbps ADSL. This means however we now have a Genexis HRG1000 Fibre router rather than our old Vigor 2820n adsl router which had built in support for DynDNS and No-IP. Unfortunately there are no Always On PCs/devices on site to run the No-IP DNS Updater client and I need to RDP into the site to maintain the Internet Cafe PCs.
I was hoping I could piggyback an old router which had No-IP or DynDNS facility built in, onto the DMZ of the existing router.
Firstly would this approach work and secondly could anyone recommend a cheap router that could undertake this role. I have a load of Netgear DG834 routers a few Belkin's and a couple of BT 2Wire 2700HG-s' but no idea if these can be configured out of the box or if there are other firmware that could be installed. The previous are all ADSL so may not be appropriate as it may require an ethernet router if what I am hoping to achieve will work at all?
The alternative is perhaps a PlugPC or dare I say it a Raspberry Pi but I think and old router would be more robust and self contained.
Many thanks
Fozzie
JayHos

Re: Repurposed router for No-IP DNS Updater

Post by JayHos » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:04 pm

Older routers would be so much better for this, right? I don't think you want or need anything fancy for that.
Fozzie Bear
Novice
Novice

Re: Repurposed router for No-IP DNS Updater

Post by Fozzie Bear » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:29 am

Thanks JayHos,
I was hoping someone here at RouterTech would recommend a router make/model which I could use to do this. Something on to which I can Install DD-WRT or similar
Fozzie