OpenVPN on RouterTech (1350A wireless firmwares)

Polls and the resulting discussions.

Which of these should be removed from the 1350A wireless firmwares to make room for OpenVPN?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:46 pm

None. I am not interested in OpenVPN at all
23%
None. I prefer OpenVPN to be downloaded into my router from the RouterTech server or a network share
23%
The DSP/tiatm v6.x drivers and the ftp client
15%
The DSP/tiatm v6.x drivers and the "edit" editor
23%
Siproxd and udpxy and the ftp client
15%
Siproxd and udpxy and the "edit" editor
No votes

Total votes: 13
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

OpenVPN on RouterTech (1350A wireless firmwares)

Post by thechief » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:46 pm

This poll is only for users of the RouterTech firmware for TNETW1350A wireless routers.

The RouterTech firmwares will start to support OpenVPN from v2.94 onwards. This support is only for the wireless firmwares and the "4mb-flash" non-wireless firmwares (OpenVPN will not run on routers with 8mb RAM).

The OpenVPN executable is quite large, but will easily fit on the "standard" wireless (i.e., for the TNETW1130 chipset) firmwares, and the "4mb-flash" non-wireless firmwares.

However, it will not fit on the 1350A wireless firmwares. The options for these firmwares are to download the executable from the RouterTech server or fetch it from a network share (loaded via smbfs) into a "live" (i.e., up and running) router. This will need to be done everytime the router is rebooted. The script that starts OpenVPN can also do the downloads seamlessly - but this option comes with a potential burden on the RouterTech server. The best option is to make space in the 1350A wireless firmwares by removing some things (e.g., the ftp client, the "edit" editor, Siproxd, the dsp/tiam 6.x drivers, etc).

This poll seeks to ascertain which of these (if any) users would prefer to sacrifice for OpenVPN on the firmware, or whether users are happy with the kludge described above (i.e., to download the executable from the RouterTech server or fetch it from a network share (loaded via smbfs) into the live firmware session).

Please let us have your views.

Thanks.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
inward

Re: OpenVPN on RouterTech (1350A wireless firmwares)

Post by inward » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm current using udpxy for IPTV over wifi
So please don't remove it. And I think this feature is need for many users.
And also I want to connect to my company through OpenVPN.
So please add OpenVPN to next release.
Thanks you.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Ok. But your wishes can be expressed by participating in the poll. Something has to go if OpenVPN will be added to the firmware images - otherwise, the only other option is to download it everytime you want to run it.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:26 pm

Ok, it seems that there is no clear consensus. It therefore seems best to not remove anything, and to let the firmware download the OpenVPN binary from the RouterTech server, or from a network share.

This might need to be revisited if the downloads start stressing the RouterTech server.

Thanks to all those who participated in the poll.