RT firmwares: Minix filesystem - keep it or lose it?

Polls and the resulting discussions.

Do you wish to see the minix filesystem in future RT firmwares?

No, I never use it / can live without it
63%
Yes, I use / need it
37%

Total votes: 86
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

RT firmwares: Minix filesystem - keep it or lose it?

Post by Neo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:26 pm

The RouterTech development team would like to know whether, you, the users of our firmwares, would like to keep the minix filesystem support in future firmware releases.

We constantly review the contents of our firmwares to make sure we make the most of the limited memory available. It's important to free up memory that could be used for something else (e.g. the Tcl interpreter).

We would be grateful if you could make your opinion known and vote below :)

See viewtopic.php?t=1263 or do a forum search for 'minix' for more details. If you need to look it up then you probably don't need it ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:21 pm

Not fussed that it is a minix filesystem, but I have used the non-volatile storage continuously since it has been available - BUT the ADSL2MUE with only 1-Ethernet/no wireless and 4MB flash is probably an oddball!

I have loaded alternative ATM/DSP drivers from flash, but always have had a locally stored bootmsg.sh to send an email with connection stats etc for historical reference...

Guess the fiddling with mtd blocks is risky for most people - would be great if you could copy the system from Tomato - this can automatically format unused flash as jffs.