Firmware v2.93 Poll (darkstat on WIRELESS routers)

Polls and the resulting discussions.

Do you use darkstat on your WIRELESS router?

Yes, I use it all the time, and I really need it
12%
I only use it occasionally, and would be fine without it
24%
No, I don't use it at all
41%
What is it?
24%

Total votes: 17
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Firmware v2.93 Poll (darkstat on WIRELESS routers)

Post by thechief » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:06 am

Darkstat is included in wireless firmwares and non-wireless "4mb-flash" firmwares. The darkstat statistics are accurate on non-wireless firmwares.

However, with wireless firmwares, incompatibilities with the wireless AP driver means that some things have to be disabled to prevent the wireless AP driver from crashing. This means that many packets are dropped, and that the darkstat statistics are not accurate. In fact, only one of the two (in/out) interfaces is reported, limiting the usefulness of darkstat to the ability to ascertain the websites that have been visited. Because of these issues, some people do not bother at all with darkstat.

We would therefore like to get an idea of the extent of the usage of darkstat on wireless routers. The aim is to ascertain whether to remove it from the wireless firmwares, thereby saving space for other things.

If you have a wireless router, please let us know about your usage of darkstat.

Thanks.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Firmware v2.93 Poll (darkstat on WIRELESS routers)

Post by thechief » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks to all who participated in the poll.

The conclusion is that darkstat will be removed from our wireless firmwares. It will still be in the non-wireless "4mb-flash" firmwares.

However, we will make the darkstat executable available for download in the RouterTech Repository as a separate download, so that those who need it will still have access to it (e.g., to run it from the /var/ directory, or a minix partition, or a cifs/smbfs mountpoint). Users who do this will still be able to access the statistics information from the "Status->Darkstat" menu.

This poll and will now be closed.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.