Discussion on the launch of RouterTech

Talk about anything you like here, as long as it's non-technical and within the rules. No support questions here please! Posts here do not count towards your total
CropRotation
Regular
Regular

Post by CropRotation » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:29 pm

What was wrong with ADSLTECH? :( I think it was good enough to cater the needs of the people.
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:31 pm

Nothing is wrong with ADSLTech.

This site is simply different in a few ways, and provides and addition to rather than a replacement of sites like ADSLTech. In short:-

- We can and will support any and all networking equipment from any manufacturer for free.

- We permit manufacturers to submit to us new and existing products to assisit with testing, development and eventually full blown free support. This builds bridges between customers and manufacturers alike.

- We can allow an unbiased and fairly moderated environment in which to praise or otherwise any given product, group of products or manufacturer in general. Not to mention providing testemonials and pre-purchase guides to cutomers who are faced with an ever confusing market.

- Forming the community has allowed us to make ties with other people and hopefully soon, other organisations which has meant we have been able to draw on a wide range of experience and expertese and no financial cost.

- We have the teams and the facilities to write and release custom firmwares for a wide range of networking products, especially routers, This allows people to fix bugs in products without having to buy a new product. It also enables people to add features to their networking equipment that would otherwise cost more.

So in direct response to your question; really it is not if this site is "better" than ADSLTech, rather what does it provide that ADSLTech doesn't and never will provide because of the nature of the beast. ADSLTech is, and always will be one of the best places for Origo/Safecom support on the web, but it does lack in support for other manufacturers and in other areas of networking that Safecom do not play a part in. This is the gap that RouterTech and its team members aim to fill, and indeed hope to fill many other gaps in networking support from accross the web.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:43 pm

Well said. The two sites are not in competition. RouterTech is here to support networking products from all manufacturers, and to offer general networking support that may not necessarily be connected to hardware.

As far as hardware support is concerned, if Safecom wish to submit new and/or existing products for review, or to assist with testing, development and full blown support, you are welcome to do so, as is any other manufacturer. As Kieran said, our development teams (a.k.a. the RT geeks) are able to develop custom firmwares, tools/utilities to support official firmwares, and utilities for certain networking chipsets and hardware platforms.

This can only increase the attractiveness of manufacturers' products, and so we hope that manufacturers will see the advantages (to themselves and their customers) of what we can offer, and will avail themselves of what is essentially a gratis service.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
CropRotation
Regular
Regular

Post by CropRotation » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:37 am

Ok I get it now :) . I think it would be a wonderful thing for the users and other releavant persons related to networking.

I hope to learn a lot from here. Hats off to your efforts and contribution 8)
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:09 am

Thanks for the praise, CropRotation - I have to agree with you 100% there ;)
Last edited by Neo on Tue May 02, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
CropRotation
Regular
Regular

Post by CropRotation » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:40 am

Neo wrote:Thanks for the praise, CropRotation - I have to agree with you 100% there ;)
And Why will not you?? :lol:
Last edited by CropRotation on Tue May 02, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawangeen
Novice
Novice

Clever Jim

Post by Lawangeen » Mon May 01, 2006 1:29 pm

Take my word for it, The silliest woman can manage a clever man, bit it need a very clever woman to manage a fool.
To be or not to be that is a question?
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon May 01, 2006 1:32 pm

Lawangeen, please stay on topic. While I'm sure your quote has philosophical merit, perhaps it should be posted in free chat instead rather than in a discussion about the RouterTech launch?
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Mon May 01, 2006 1:35 pm

Personally, I think this topic should have been locked from the start - it's meant to be news, not a point of discussion ;). Perhaps some of the posts need to be moved into the free-chat section?
Lawangeen
Novice
Novice

Post by Lawangeen » Mon May 01, 2006 2:08 pm

Sorry Kieran.
Ok i will care next time.
To be or not to be that is a question?
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Tue May 02, 2006 11:48 am

Posts have been moved to free chat, rather than continuing the discussion under 'News'.
Geff

Post by Geff » Tue May 16, 2006 10:41 am

Hi Guys.....long time no speak!!

Several of you will remember me from ADSLTech but I left some time ago because I had less and less time to contribute and in addition had sold my trusty Origo router. Glad to see that you guys have setup this forum catering for all routers...Nice one! :lol:

Anyway...how can I get my Taz avatar back? I miss him!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue May 16, 2006 10:48 am

Hi Geff - Welcome and please make yourself at home here :lol:

As they say - every cloud has a silver lining and the there was Routertech :wink:

Look forward to seeing you around.

Jim
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Tue May 16, 2006 11:10 am

Good to see another friendly face (albeit without his avatar) Can you still get access to ADSLTECH and get it back from your profile? What was you username there? Guessing at "Geff" but thought I'd ask.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Tue May 16, 2006 11:26 am

It must 'Geff' - he was the only admin/ex-admin with a Taz avatar :)

It's nice to hear from you again...it's been ages :waves: