Can a router be configured to look like ISP?

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
mattrix

Can a router be configured to look like ISP?

Post by mattrix » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:50 am

Hi router people,
I didn't know where to put this.
Please be nice - I know nothing - but I'm hoping to learn.

Firstly is the RouterTech firmware completely open source?
If not which bits are not? I've heard that TI hasn't released the AR7 code, but according to the MIPS people the complete code can be collected from the bits and pieces in the various GPL released code.

Secondly, has/could this be done:

LAN > modem/router 1 > single pair > modem/router 2 > ethernet: pseudo WAN > modem/bridge 3 > WAN

This would allow the examination of packets on both the WAN and LAN side of modem/router 1, which is being tested.
In a previous network layout I had a router and a separate authenticating bridge to the ISP, and looking at both sides of the router was very useful for troubleshooting.
But with an all-in-one the only way to find out what you are actually sending is to hassle the ISP, and after being on hold for several hours they may not help you.

As far as I can tell, line negotiation and how DSL channels are used is all done in software. So it ought to be possible to set router 2 to pretend to be an ISP.

mattrix

Re: Can a router be configured to look like ISP?

Post by mattrix » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Someone pointed me to these:

http://www.mpasystems.com.au/vendor/pla ... -converter

I can't see why you could not do this with ADSL modems.

So I guess my questions are,

* If you had full knowledge/access to the modem software/chip, Is there any intrinsic reason why ADSL modems could not be re-purposed to do this?

* Do we know enough about the modem to write the software do this?

* Has anyone already done this?