Can anyone top this deal?

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:08 am

Shotokan101 wrote:
EDIT: ....Oops - it's Socket A/439 you're after though isn't it Alan ? :oops:
Indeed it is :wink:

Was you thinking of the Athlon 64?
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:10 am

Alex Atkin wrote:Wow, maybe I should sell my AthlonXP 3200, its just sitting in my Linux box now and quite frankly Linux doesnt seem to like the nForce 2 board much yet it was always perfect with XP. It was about £98 when I bought that CPU, quite shocking its keeping any value this long.
I'll give you a fiver :lol:
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:51 am

thechief wrote:Looks good. You could also try these (and you have the dubious benefit of getting Windows Vista with them):
1. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/123119/rb/26293375447
2. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124997
Well, I've gone and done it. I went for option number 2 that thechief found. Should be a nice little project to set it up like I want and I get to play with Vista to see what all the fuss is about.

Now all I have to do is to explain it away. :)
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:24 pm

SyBorg wrote:Now all I have to do is to explain it away. :)
Just say that a goat ate the cpu on the other PC (after remvoing it of course ;)). The "a goat ate my report sheet" excuse used to work very well when I was a primary school kid in Africa (not!).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:34 pm

Alan wrote:
Shotokan101 wrote:
EDIT: ....Oops - it's Socket A/439 you're after though isn't it Alan ? :oops:
Indeed it is :wink:

Was you thinking of the Athlon 64?
I was indeed - you'd probably be better off buying a new mainboard/cpu bundle :cry:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:50 pm

Shotokan101 wrote: I was indeed - you'd probably be better off buying a new mainboard/cpu bundle :cry:
I was just hoping to upgrade one of my sons PC to its max, rather than going to the expense of new mobo etc.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:59 pm

Alan wrote:
Shotokan101 wrote: I was indeed - you'd probably be better off buying a new mainboard/cpu bundle :cry:
I was just hoping to upgrade one of my sons PC to its max, rather than going to the expense of new mobo etc.
Understandable - before you know it you need new memory as well :?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:15 am

Just to round-off this thread, the new Acer machine that I ordered as mentioned above was delivered this week. As I've been away I didn't get chance to plug it in until last night. It's fast and first impressions of Vista are that it's interesting eye candy. I can't wait to get it dual booted with Linux though :D

One complete gotcha for me was RAM. Having ordered a machine with 1GB of RAM I was rather surprised once Vista had loaded to see that it was showing the machine as having 767MB instead. I checked in the BIOS and found that it did indeed have 1,048,576 k of total RAM (which according to my maths is 1GB). Having done a quick Google there are articles everywhere saying how Vista grabs some of the memory for it's own use and presents what's left to you as 'useable memory'. Example article.

Odd one but once you know it saves you an annoying call to the support department....
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:20 pm

...At least there is RAMBoost ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!