Safecom QoS Transcript

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Safecom QoS Transcript

Post by studioeng » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:15 pm

Here is a transcript from a LiveSupport session which I had with Safecom; about QoS.
SafecomKA wrote:SafecomKA> How may i help you??Could you please type the part number which is in question??
subzero> ahhh do your support team always cut customers off halfway through a support call ??
SafecomKA> never
SafecomKA> ok what you want ?
subzero> well I think 'SafecomAsh' should have a good talking to
SafecomKA> ok please tell me your problem if it is regarding Safecom?
subzero> yes
subzero> SWAMR-54108
subzero> running v4 firmware
SafecomKA> ok please
subzero> I wish to know how to set up the QoS to use VoIP to the best effect.
SafecomKA> ok
subzero> I have read the guides published on the Safecom website; but they do not seem to make any real effect
subzero> do i need to add ALL computers on the network for the QoS to function properly ??
SafecomKA> sorry it's not a VoIP router
subzero> ... no .... but I have a VoIP router behind itr
SafecomKA> you mean it's not a Safecom's router?
subzero> I want the correct QoS settings for SIP/VoIP for the SWAMR-54125/54125 router
SafecomKA> ok follow the steps given in http://safecom.cn/code/product/adsl/SWA ... p-QOS.html
subzero> As I said before; I have followed the guide; but it does not make any difference to the connection
subzero> do I need to add ALL computers on the network to the QoS table in order for it to function correctly ??
SafecomKA> yes
subzero> so they all need static IP addresses ??
subzero> you mean I need to set 250 computers to have static ip addresses and add them ALL to the QoS table ???
SafecomKA> yes, sorry for not mentioning it first
subzero> ......
subzero> is there a wildcard setting which will effect all others ??
subzero> adding 250 computers with static IP addresses is not practical
SafecomKA> how many comuters your have connected?
subzero> 250
SafecomKA> sorry you have to do that
SafecomKA> not supporting wildcard
subzero> thats rubbish; who designed that system ??
subzero> thats not practical at all
subzero> setting 250 computers all with static ip addresses, and then spending hours adding every single one to the QoS table ...
SafecomKA> but if you want to enable QoS then you have to do that
subzero> what a bad system
subzero> is there no better way of getting it to work more effectively ??
SafecomKA> sorry
subzero> well I'll send that rubbish back then and get something better
SafecomKA> also for you kind informations you can't connect more than 253
SafecomKA> systems to the same router
SafecomKA> in a class C IP address
SafecomKA> like 192.168.1.1
subzero> well I already said ive got 250; I wont be using your bad hardware anymore
subzero> if the functions dont even work how theyre supposed to
SafecomKA> it's working but for that you have to do the settings as I mentioned
subzero> well it doesnt work does it; thats a stupid method of working
SafecomKA> but we nerver advertize that it's working without giving static IP addresses to the client and without assigning specific bandwidth to each client on the network
subzero> you just dont inform people of the true method of working; if you did, they would never purchase it in the first place.
Guys, would this be the same for the RT firmware; or have you done a better job of making QoS work more effectively??
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:33 pm

I never thought I would see myself type this but I think you were a bit hard on SafecomKA :shock: To be honest I don't think anyone wanting to support 250 users on a router should consider using a bit of kit this cheap no matter what it says it can do.
It's users like you that make a support role a nightmare. Just imagine how badly he/she must be feeling now :wink:

Anyway, for the RT firmware I'm not sure how much of what we have is different in terms of base code from what Safecom use. You would have to try it and let us know.
What I would say though is that if the entries can be added to the QoS table via the command line then it should be possible to script it via the telnet scripter.

PS. I know thechief had found some other QoS options that could be switched on but I have no idea what they would do.
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:59 pm

SyBorg wrote:I never thought I would see myself type this but I think you were a bit hard on SafecomKA :shock: To be honest I don't think anyone wanting to support 250 users on a router should consider using a bit of kit this cheap no matter what it says it can do.
Well I kinda told a couple of porkies ;) For a start I'm not running the v4 firmware; and I'm not running 250 machines (if I was, I'd be running HP or Cisco), I was trying to emphesise how impractical it was to set it up.
SyBorg wrote:It's users like you that make a support role a nightmare. Just imagine how badly he/she must be feeling now :wink:
People like me :shock: You don't wanna know the conversation I was having with SafecomAsh earlier... Suffice to say he was offensive and then close the support call!
SyBorg wrote:Anyway, for the RT firmware I'm not sure how much of what we have is different in terms of base code from what Safecom use. You would have to try it and let us know.
What I would say though is that if the entries can be added to the QoS table via the command line then it should be possible to script it via the telnet scripter.

PS. I know thechief had found some other QoS options that could be switched on but I have no idea what they would do.
I'm sure there is a better way of getting QoS to run more efficiently that the SC method of working :? :shock:
legume
Experienced
Experienced

Post by legume » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:02 pm

I don't think qos for individual users will work unless they have real IP addresses.

The way round this normally is to use iptables, but it doesn't look like mangle/mark are compiled in.

Andy.